The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 4th year with a planted tank and my 3rd rescape of my 60p..... but first tank journal.

I’m currently still in the setup phase of v3. Broke down v2 back in November. Everything (6 ember tetras and a dozen shrimp) is in a 5gal cube, and doing well.... I just work slow these days. Not a lot of free time, but I’m steadily making progress.

This time around, I’m updating a lot of other things.
1) new diy ADA style stand
2) some new equipment
3) new RO system, attached to an entire plumbing system that will make for really easy water changes.

First, the stand.... which I’ve posted before, but I want it in my tank journal. From the day I finished it

Here is it in place, with equipment and light

I

Next I started working on my plumbing set up. The basic idea is that I’ll have a flexible tube coming up through the floor, behind the aquarium. This tube will be used to both drain water from the tank to the sump crock, and pump water from my RO system back up into the tank. My RO system will hang on the wall and fill a 44 gallon trash can. A pond pump will be submersed in there and plugged into an outlet with a remote switch.

I’ve run about 75’ worth of pex, only about 9-10ft of elevation though. Here is the progress. There are valves so I can control where the flow goes. The trash can isn’t pictured.... but I’ll update when it gets finished.

Here is where it’ll come through the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are really 'doing it right' and making a slick setup.

Is this an auto water change system or more just a means of having a sort of spigot at the tank to fill with RO water?
Thanks!

No auto change. I considered it but I don’t want to put anything else in the tank.

Also considered just an auto top off but ultimately decided against that for the same reason.

That being said, I haven’t completely ruled it out lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's a beautiful setup. I worry about servicing the reactor when it is back against the wall. Sure, it should never ever need service, but what if it does? What about, for example, an initial leak when it gets setup.

BTW, you've inspired me to build a stand someday.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's a beautiful setup. I worry about servicing the reactor when it is back against the wall. Sure, it should never ever need service, but what if it does? What about, for example, an initial leak when it gets setup.

BTW, you've inspired me to build a stand someday.
Thanks, I wish I had documented the stand building process more. It’s basically 3/4” ply covered with counter top laminate. The sides were doubled up so each side is 1.5” thick. Bottom and top are single layers, then the back is actually 1/2” just to lighten up the overall build a little. The back is set inside a rabbet, for structural integrity and looks. If I were to make another, I’d use the doubled up thickness of the sides to essentially rabbet the top and bottom as well. All you’d need to do is cut your inside pieces appropriately smaller than the outside side pieces, then use spacers to get everything glued up properly. But I didn’t do that, I just used a butt joint.. screwed and glued. But when the whole thing is boxed up, it’s rock solid.

I can get into more detail about the build if you’ve got questions. I plan on making my next tank a 90cm wide deal, so I’ll be making another one of these.... which I will document more, but it’ll be next year.

The tank actually sits about 13” off the wall, and the reactor is on one side, so fairly easy to access if needed.

I can fit a screwdriver and compact drill back there pretty easy.....I know what you mean though... hoping I don’t need to spend too much time back there. If the reactor is problematic, I’ll go back to an inline atomizer

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made a little progress

The RODI system is complete and I’m able to pump water all the way to my tank on the other side of the house.

Also installed a tap to draw water from the bottom if needed

Tank has been scaped and rescaped but I’ve settled on hardscape arrangement. The only thing I’m thinking I’ll change at this point is the blue background. I thought it might be nice, but it’s too opaque. I’ll switch it out for clear frosted soon

Some closer shots... had to turn on the light to reduce glare from the front.

Side to see the elevations

Top down. The middle aquasoil section is much lower than the sides

So yeah, I don’t really like the blue background... so that’s gotta go.

In my mind a lot of the rock will end up covered with plants. There’s lots of little cracks and crevices to plant in.

Next update will be initial planting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts