The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've still got some time to wait for my tank to finish cycling before I can start adding anything but I figured this was a good opportunity to get some suggestions.

This is what I'm thinking

~15 Rasbora, currently leaning towards porkchop or hengel's, open to suggestions though, especially if someone thinks the behaviors of one are more interesting than another.

~7 pygmy cory's or Oto's, leaning towards the cory's because I've heard the Oto's can be finnicky if they run out of algae to munch on.

~2 electric blue or German blue rams I shouldn't have a problem with these picking on my cory's should I? I figure I'll wait until everything else is happy and stabilized before trying to add ram's as they're considerably more expensive.

~3-4 Amano shrimp for extra algae/debris duty.

Does this sound like a decent load with an eheim 2215 in a 60p? Aqua Advisor makes it sound like this should work fine but I'm wondering if there are any water parameter issues I should keep in mind. Currently my PH is pretty acidic, sitting around 5, I'm hoping it'll stabilize at 5.5-6.5 but it's too soon to tell.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woah that is a very acidic tank i thnk the stocking is fine but make sure all of those fish are good with acidic water get some green or leopard cories they are cool
yeah, I just posted about the acidity in the water parameter forum. from the tap it's 8 but in the tank it's 5 :( seems like the ada ammazonia is dropping it down a LOT... I'm really hoping it comes up a bit after the NH3 and NH4 drop off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, just remembered what my other question was... pygmy corydora's shouldn't mess with carpet plants too much while they're growing in should they? I was planning on planting probably Glosso and I've heard that some cory's will mess with carpet plants, I think that's mostly larger ones though correct?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
oh, just remembered what my other question was... pygmy corydora's shouldn't mess with carpet plants too much while they're growing in should they? I was planning on planting probably Glosso and I've heard that some cory's will mess with carpet plants, I think that's mostly larger ones though correct?
Yes, mostly larger ones, but I wouldn't rule it out (even though with the pygmy ones I think any damage will be able to be controlled).

btw I wouldn't put any fish in until you are sure the pH is stable, and 5 sounds super low!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was just talking to someone who said pH of 5 should be fine for all of these fish as they're all South American, hmmm, guess I'll see where my pH is at after my nitrites subside.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The rasboras and shrimp are actually from Asian countries, though they should tolerate the acidity of your tank. You could go with Cardinal Tetras or Rummynose Tetras if you want to stick with S. American fauna. That's a pretty big pH drop from your tap, do you know your KH from tap and tank?

Pygmy cories are real neat, they tend to be mid-dwellers and shoal as well. Your carpet plants should be fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rasboras and shrimp are actually from Asian countries, though they should tolerate the acidity of your tank. You could go with Cardinal Tetras or Rummynose Tetras if you want to stick with S. American fauna. That's a pretty big pH drop from your tap, do you know your KH from tap and tank?

Pygmy cories are real neat, they tend to be mid-dwellers and shoal as well. Your carpet plants should be fine.
yeah, I need to test my KH from the tank, but from the tap our KH and GH here in Portland is 0 basically. I think that accounts for the drop from a tap pH of 8 to a tank pH of 5.

I'm also a little concerned what this means for my nitrifying bacteria, was going to ask about that in the water parameters thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.