The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this tank back in late september. I have the complete thread over on apc:60g Journal (First attempt at Iwagumi:Early stages) - Page 4 - Aquatic Plant Central

Lately I have been battling some BGA and its evident in the pictures. This is pretty much as far as I wanted to go with this set up. I might try an HC foreground to increase the depth but thats more work on this very unstable tank.

I thought I would share with the lovely people on Planted tank and get some opinions on how I can improve in the future. Probably won't do any changes to this tank since I am already planning a new scape, but if your suggestion is good who knows...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sweet dude! It grew in so consistantly! Love the green neons (I think?). The first photo they're silvery but in the second and third they look blue

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah If you zoom in on the first they look blue its just when I sharpened it I lost the blue. I didn't notice until they where online. The bigger pics aren't as bad. They are green neons.

Consistant but SLOW!!! If I use dwarf hair grass again i will try and plant it much thicker and in smaller bunches. I think my problem was the constant battles with algae made it hard for the plants as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice rock placement. Overall, this tank looks great. The only suggestion I would give is to move the blyxa from in front of the rocks to behind them on the left side.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not blyxa. Good guess though since that was the original plan for that spot. It was sold to me as Echinodorus tennellus but obviously its quite large. I think its one of the larger Echinodorus grass like plants not sure which one. Doesn't bush as well as blyxa and as you can see in the picture it sends runners, unlike blyxa which is a stem plant.:) It wasn't supposed to grow that big but what are you going to do.:)

Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your setup looks terrific! How did you get the grass to grow in like that? Did you paint the backside of your aquarium?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do you trim the top at all?
What other plants are in there besides the hairgrass?

Nice job BTW

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the compliments.

Caymandiver75:I got it to grow like that by waiting... Thats about the only trick. Pressurized co2. I only use 2x54w Tek T5. The other two bulbs haven't been used, too much light.

I am hanging a piece of black cloth off the back it works pretty well and I can switch to a different color very easily.

Fresh newby:I only have three plants. Eleocharis parvula, Echinodorus tenellus, and the larger Echinodorus perhaps angustifolius but thats just a guess. There is some riccia, moss, and hc hiding in the grass hard to pick it all out.

I trimmed it twice. It grew in faster in some spots and started to grow taller there. The front left was full quite a while ago. It is a real pain picking all the cut blades of grass off the surface of the tank. They just went right through my net. Took me a while.

Turtlehead: Thanks. Yeah its been slow going. If my original plan to have HC as the foreground had worked out I would have been done sooner.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its definitely been a long process. I purchased the tank last January. I pieced together the setup and got everything going in September.

I figure whats the rush. If I rush I make mistakes, and it becomes more of a chore instead of a hobby. Who am I racing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Uhm .. I don't see any bga ..
Nice & simple looking aquascape .. really makes the rocks stand out.
I just wish that you could've created depth to it :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That is really impressive. I love the gentle slopes and serenity. I followed the link and read the whole thread over at APC - and was truly impressed with the progress, especially over the various algaes. Nice work! You're certainly not a beginer anymore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally redid this tank. The hairgrass was getting to thick and the tenellus/ angustifolius where growing taller and spreading to far in the tank.

I am trying something a little different with this one. I have a kind of hill of substrate in the middle. I noticed some iwagumis had this hill like structure and thought I should give it a try.

This was my first try at the hardscape and its ok. I redid the whole tank and replanted it with glosso all in one night so anything would have looked good when I was done.

I planned poorly and found out to late that I had to go on a college viewing trip and thats what forced me to rush the redo. I might not have time to replant all that glosso for weeks because AP season and State testing is coming up so the hardscape will probably stay basically as is for a while.

I would love some suggestions on the rocks. I am having a hard time visualizing this tank complete even though its just glosso, so any advice will help.

http://picasaweb.google.com/William.Reksc/41007

1 - 20 of 46 Posts