The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 gallon aquarium, with the same footprint as the long 55 gallon, just a little bit taller.

The dimensions are 48" x 12" x 24". I will have 2 Fluval 304s for it, and either fluorite or eco-complete (I prefer the look of eco-complete). How many bags are required to have ~2 - 3" with that footprint?

I will be doing either a massive DIY yeast CO2 operation, or I will be doing pressurized. I already have a regulator and a needle valve, and I know what else I would require.

I will do EI with PWDD, provided I can get it shipped to Canada. My question is about lights really.

I can get the 48" coralife PC 130W 2x 65W 6700K quite easily. How good would this be? I can supplement with a 48" NO 40W striplight if need-be. The aquarium gets 3 hours or so of direct sunlight midway through the day. I don't want to be limited to what plants I can grow, but I would also like a nice, low foreground plant (preferably HC, but I have some lilaeopsis brasiliensis already). Anyways, let me know what you think, and if there is anything I have forgotten.

narhay

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mott,

how tall is your substrate?

I've seen that list, and I saw many 4x65W, but I think that over 4wpg is stretching it and I really don't want to have to prune every week. I'm looking for 3 wpg or so, medium-high light. The reflector on my 40W strip is very good, and I'm able to grow plants with some cichlids right now that I thought I wouldn't be able to.

What about the 2 x 2x30W NO striplights? 2wpg, but T5s have a different lumen output...

Narhay

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need 96 pounds of eco-complete if I want to have a 3 inch bed. How heavy is each bag?

Should I be looking for a different light then? I want value (ie i'm not rich), but I also don't want to strain my energy resources (you should see my last hydro bill :help: ). I think that over 4 wpg is a bit excessive from the 4 x 65W as I've heard that the somewhere in the 3.5 range can improve growth for some plants... I'd prefer one fixture, and the AHS kit is not really that cheap considering I'm in Canada. What do you guys suggest?

Narhay

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I need 96 pounds of eco-complete if I want to have a 3 inch bed. How heavy is each bag?

Should I be looking for a different light then? I want value (ie i'm not rich), but I also don't want to strain my energy resources (you should see my last hydro bill :help: ). I think that over 4 wpg is a bit excessive from the 4 x 65W as I've heard that the somewhere in the 3.5 range can improve growth for some plants... I'd prefer one fixture, and the AHS kit is not really that cheap considering I'm in Canada. What do you guys suggest?

Narhay
Consider using soilmaster for substrate; take the money you saved on substrate and buy a 4x55 AH Supply kit.....DC

·
Registered
119 Posts
I second the vote for using Soilmaster Select as a substrate. Use your savings for the AH Supply lights that DC suggested and pressurized CO2. If you have the regulator and needle valve, you are halfway there! All you need is a cylinder, a brass checkvalve and some CO2-proof tubing!

I *loathe* DIY CO2! And I only have a 29 gal! I can't imagine how much more I would loathe it on a tank that big.

Good luck with your new tank!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've never heard of soilmaster select, but I'll have a look into it.

I priced out the AH supply 4 x 55W fixture and it came out to be $215.95 USD with 4 bulbs. That is shipping to the US. To Canada I would have to tack on a lot more...

I found this as well, but I'm a little wary of a no name company...any thoughts?
eBay.ca: NEW 48" 4x65w 260W Power Compact Aquarium Light 3 Cords (item 130083985724 end time 07-Mar-07 14:12:20 EST)

I would have to replace at least one of the actinic lamps...

Then there is this but fans and moonlights are optional...i'm guessing fans on something producing this much heat isn't optional:

eBay.ca: 48 inch power compact 2 X 96 watt hood light aquarium (item 4347439682 end time 21-Mar-07 01:42:17 EDT)

Also this, but $30 shipping to the US means much more to Canada.
eBay.ca: 48" JBJ 260W POWER COMPACT AQUARIUM LIGHTS- Jg3-42 (item 330090945031 end time 02-Mar-07 14:39:54 EST)

This as well...pretty good deal compared to the rest, but still a lot of light...

eBay.ca: 48" Freshwater Aqualight 4-65W 6700k (Coralife)/NEW (item 110005694452 end time 03-Mar-07 10:55:10 EST)

Two of the freshwater version of this?
eBay.ca: Coralife Aqualigt 48" T5 10000k + Actinic strip lights (item 140079965696 end time 29-Mar-07 15:40:42 EDT)

This looks promising, but there is no mention if it comes with bulbs
eBay.ca: Tek Light T5 High Output Fixture--4 Ft 4 Lamp -54 Watt (item 120084376429 end time 09-Mar-07 08:49:17 EST)

This one's bulbs would have to change and they have a single reflector (I believe)
eBay.ca: Current USA 48" Nova Extreme T5 HO Aquarium Strip Light (item 280079307140 end time 07-Mar-07 17:46:15 EST)

That's about all I can find for now...keep in mind i'm not rich...

Narhay

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Actually shipping charges to Canada might add at most 10% more. I ship to Canada all the time and it's not all that much more. The paperwork is more hassle than the additional shipping charges. If you check out this link you will know the exact shipping charges.

The first light you link to doesn't get near as much light into the tank as even a 2x55 watt AH supply kit. Optimal reflectors for a 55 watt PC bulb are about 4" wide per bulb. Cram two bulbs into a 6" space and you lose a lot of light due to restrike.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the sedona canopy....it has two glass tops with a cross-member section of wood holding them. I don't think I could manage to attach the reflectors because there is only glass above them. 8-9" across is quite a bit and really limits my access to the glass hood hinge door. I think I would prefer to not have to build my own DIY kit, and buy the ready-made coralife.

eBay.ca: 48" Freshwater Aqualight 4-65W 6700k (Coralife)/NEW (item 110005694452 end time 03-Mar-07 10:55:10 EST)

It comes with fans, whereas the AH supply does not. It does not come with individual reflectors and I will lose light to restrike, but it is also 40W more.

Thanks for the links to the Canadian shipping prices. I hadn't found it when I was there... I would have to pay GST (our tax) on the AH supply, but not the coralife. That is 6% additional, plus $6-8 handling fee (USD), plus the conversion rate and the high shipping costs. It is already more expensive than the coralife.

I've seen great success with both types of light. Is the coralife a good product for what I want?

Narhay.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I have the sedona canopy....it has two glass tops with a cross-member section of wood holding them. I don't think I could manage to attach the reflectors because there is only glass above them. 8-9" across is quite a bit and really limits my access to the glass hood hinge door. I think I would prefer to not have to build my own DIY kit, and buy the ready-made coralife.

It comes with fans, whereas the AH supply does not. It does not come with individual reflectors and I will lose light to restrike, but it is also 40W more.

Thanks for the links to the Canadian shipping prices. I hadn't found it when I was there... I would have to pay GST (our tax) on the AH supply, but not the coralife. That is 6% additional, plus $6-8 handling fee (USD), plus the conversion rate and the high shipping costs. It is already more expensive than the coralife.

I've seen great success with both types of light. Is the coralife a good product for what I want?

Narhay.
You will still have issues with hinged glass tops under the canopy, here is a solution.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/42194-sliding-glass-top-how.html

A strip light will be significantly hotter than an AH Supply setup. A strip light has an internal ballast, you mount the AH Supply ballast outside the canopy. Most of the heat comes from the ballast, I do not have any fans on my AH Supply setups. I no longer place strip lights under canopies. No fans = no noise. Externally mounted ballast = minimal heat in canopy.

You keep commenting about costs and you are not rich. Not too many folks in this hobby are rich, and IMO, it is irrevelant to your quest for lighting. You were prepared to spend over $100 for eco, yet appear unwilling to apply that on lighting when given alternatives. It appears you have already decided on a strip light......DC

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will still have issues with hinged glass tops under the canopy, here is a solution.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/42194-sliding-glass-top-how.html
You keep commenting about costs and you are not rich. Not too many folks in this hobby are rich, and IMO, it is irrevelant to your quest for lighting. You were prepared to spend over $100 for eco, yet appear unwilling to apply that on lighting when given alternatives. It appears you have already decided on a strip light......DC
Thanks for the link.

As for the eco-complete...all I knew was that I liked the appearance and the nutrition value. When I saw the prices, it turned me off it immediately and I'm actively looking for another solution.

I am no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, and wiring something like this is not my piece of pie. I don't want wires hanging around and a ballast sticking out the back, and I would not make it look good. Some may say it's so easy to assemble, but to be honest I am not good at things like this.

If you don't agree with my reasoning, please don't reply to my thread. Thank you for your contributions thus far.

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts