The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If given a choice between the same 60g tank with included LED lights or fluorescents, which would you choose? I'm assuming that the stock Marineland lights won't be the best and would need upgrading anyways...

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
If given a choice between the same 60g tank with included LED lights or fluorescents, which would you choose? I'm assuming that the stock Marineland lights won't be the best and would need upgrading anyways...
Hard question to answer w/out "at least" the wattage of each..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can't answer you question definitively, would need more information about exactly what two lights you are comparing, how much you want to spend, etc.

I would (and did) choose LED for a number of reasons.

In very general terms:
  1. Across the board, LED fixtures tend to be slimmer than fluorescent fixtures for the same brightness.
  2. LED fixtures tend to offer more control options - although at the lower end of the market, many LEDs are on/off only.
  3. LEDs usually result in more shimmer in the tank than fluorescent.
  4. LEDs tend to be a little more expensive for equivalent brightness, but this can pay off in the long term because you don't need to replace bulbs. Also, for many, the additional cost is buying more features.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should also consider the monthly cost difference of running the flourescent bulbs to the LEDs. I have LEDs and love that they have almost no impact on my monthly energy bills and you don't have to replace bulbs like you do with flourescent fixtures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.