The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
my critique?

way too complicated. use this design http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_site/wp-content/uploads/Sump-layout.pdf

use a fine poret size far left then a coarse next to it. on the right side use a fine pore size then a coarse.

use 2" for the fine size and 4" for the coarse. all that space in the middle just became your refugium.

fry will be totally fine. I know because I have a ton of assorted rainbow fish fry in my sump.

that black foam will need to be cleaned regularly and it will collect a lot of junk. this is a pain if your sump is not easily accessible, so make sure you have easy clearance to maintain the filter. the coarse can be cleaned every couple months. they claim it only needs to be cleaned yearly--don't believe it.

the foam will be able to house enough bacteria for for a truely giant tank that is overstocked.

my sump has 1 4" coarse and 1 2" fine. it also has 2 1" thick mattala(?) type sheets(which I don't recommend). I have 25 adult rainbow fish, 20+ juvenile rainbow fish, 60-80 fry, 8 dwarf corys, 6 regular cories, and a BN pleco.

as long as I do waterchanges and clean the black foam my water is clear and my tank is clean.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Okay guys, hows this?

This would be alot more simple, still having a good bit of filtration, and also giving the best water volume in the sump. What do you think? This is going to be my setup for the next 10-15 years, so I'm looking for a system that I can be happy with for years to come.

Also is it necessary to seal your sump if you don't have a wet/dry?
Joshua

this is pretty much what I was thinking, but I would flip the coarse and fine foam. by putting the fine foam first you are catching lots of junk saving you from having to clean the coarse very often. the fine poret foam acts more like a good mechanical, but also biological if you only clean it in tank water.

also the poret foam from swiss tropicals is fit to size---it gets wedged into place and does not need any means to keep it there so adding acrylic or other dividers is a waste, at least for the poret foam.

(my sump runs Left to right, sorry for confusion is my original suggestion)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Josh, I'd strongly urge you to reconsider the design - you've left out the 'dry' portion of a wet/dry filter. Everything I've read (on multiple forums, plus professional sump designs) shows that there is a significant and measureable difference in filtration capacity if you have both wet and dry.

One other item of note...your return pump area is tiny. It would work, but getting your hand down in there would be a trick.

My suggestions: compress the refugium area and add in a drip tray with exposed media. Even if you have to do a 'tower' wet/dry setup.

And my thoughts on filter socks - if you have decent pre-mech filtration (gutter guard to stop leaves and whatnot), socks could work in a low-maintenance setup. If you don't do pre-mech filtration, socks will get overloaded every time you trim (my experience).
tricky here....just my thoughts...

wet/dry is probably better at filtration.

BUT, the poret foam will have the capacity to harbor more bacteria than you could probably ever hope to need even in a very overstocked tank. So would you see any difference with a wet/dry? I don't think so. Unless you plan on keeping a bunch of full grown goldfish, and even then I'm not sure it would really prove 'better.'

The difference in water quality will eventually come down to two things;

1. how often you change water to remove buildup of excessive nutrients and organics (such as nitrate and general waste/detritus/mulm)

2. How often you clean your filter media which traps lots of waste/mulm/detritus ie organics that break down into nitrates etc.

A wet/dry won't remove those things(neither will any filter they just trap them), but may make it harder to do so. Poret foam you take out and rinse and put back, no finagling with parts or doors, snaps or locks. That is why you want plenty of clearance to get to your sump.

If you rinse one of the black or fine poret foam each time you do a water change you will be light years ahead of a wet/dry will you only end up cleaning the media once overy two-three months because it is such a pain.

It is the same as my 68yr old mother buying a $2,000 Mac to look at Facebook once a month and check her emails every two months. Nice, but overkill without any benefit from using a plain ol' $400 desktop.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've always read that pretty much ALL bacteria we have in our tanks are aerobic. to have anaerobic you would need a very specialized type of filter or a deep sand bed. I don't believe that a wet/dry would give you anaerobic, it would just maximize the aerobic bacteria, which we all have in plenty in a cycled tank.

I would be interested to read tom barr's discussion on this.....

·
Registered
926 Posts
Part of what makes this is a great thread is no one is throwing stones and trying to force others to agree with them, everyone is sharing thier knowledge and experience and trying to learn....of course, I'm more right than everyone else :) joking:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
oh... I have a mag 5 as my return pump and use the foam prefilter that came with it. I had a mag 9.5 but it blew my sand and plants around too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts