The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Have a 60 gallon tank I started working on with my dad about three weeks ago. I've been slowly filling it up with hardscape and plants; seems to be coming in nicely. I was able to jump-start the bb with my 10gal tank and it was cycled within a week and a half. I have a shipment coming in from aquatic plants factory, and i've been buying a plant or two with each trip to the fish store. I have decided it will be lowtech, but heavy planted. I've had good experiences with a heavy planted tank, my 10 gallon shrimp tank is CRYSTAL clear and I only replace water once a month (other than topping off evaporation.)

The picture is by no means anywhere near the final product. I am still waiting for a floating piece of hornwort to grow (which it is, pretty fast too), for the jungle val to fill the background, and for the plants to root. Shipment also includes a good bunch of moss and amazon swords, crypts but forgot the others I ordered. I do not planning on adding the heavy side of the stock (schooling fish and gouramis) until everything else has established.

Anywho, I was wondering if this stock would be good for this tank:

10-12 kuhli loaches (still deciding if its worth having the extra two for them to come out more)
6 otos
2 african dwarf frogs
10 amano shrimp
20 rummynose tetras
3 pearl gouramis (peaceful and non-aggresive)

Right now, the tank has:
4 kuhlis (only see one come out during the day but see them out and about at night)
2 ADF
6 otos

According to AqAdvisor, my filter is around 78% capable (Fluval 306) and I am stocked at around 98%-100%. I don't mind extra water changes weekly (if needed) and I assume with the tank being heavily planted, it will help a ton and work with the filter. I just need some sort of approval that once the BB builds up a strong colony, my tank would be able to handle the stock I had listed. Thanks!

Apologies for the picture. I don't know why the orientation goes bonkers when posting it on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water parameters?
0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite , 5-10ppm nitrates

Not sure if you wanted my parameters or if you're saying to just keep a close eye on parameters, but I'm keeping a close eye on it. I dosed ammonia for the first few days til I got a nitrite spike, which then went on to be nitrates and made sure it turned 1ppm of ammonia into nitrates within 24 hours

Bump:
Water parameters?
Here's my tank where I got the bacteria media from

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=29313

It's been up for a good few months and since this tank has blown up with plants, removing a huge portion of media from the filter was not a problem at all

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sorry for being a bit vague. I meant the pH & hardness, to determine which species of fish would be most suitable for your water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure dwarf frogs will eat shrimp.
Yeah they do have the capability to snag an amano, but there's going to be plenty of hiding space for the amanos, and I don't plan on getting any juveniles.

Bump:
Sorry for being a bit vague. I meant the pH & hardness, to determine which species of fish would be most suitable for your water.
I keep the tank around 7.6, not sure about the hardness i'd have to get a test kit from API for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts