The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a move about 2 months ago my 60 gallon has been reincarnated. This time a planted from a SA cichlid tank.
The tank has about an inch and a half of organic potting soil with about an inch worth of sand capping it off. 108 watts of T5 lighting. 2 HOB filters good for about 100 gallon tank. A dual bio wheel for a 75 and a basic marineland for a 20 gallon. Also a 25 gph power head really just used to heard duckweed. Run an airstone while he lights are on.
As of this post there are 10 neon and red minor tetras, a bristlenose and a GBR. Plus about 25 MTS.
Plants are Wisteria, anachris, small amazon sword, duckweed and a few crypts. There's some jungle Val in there but I'm not sure its going to make it. Most of it melted the first couple of days. The 2 I pulled up had some new root growth so there's some optimism...
First pics are the original scape and some early planting. That cam pretty crappy. Second group is as of today. Wisteria went in about a week ago.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Hopefully you start getting growth pretty soon. It doesn't take long once the plants establish roots. I might have waited to add the gbr, because they are so sensitive and prefer established tanks. With new tanks, there's a chance that wood is going to grow a type of fungus on it. Snails eat it as will Amano and pleco. So you may want to add a small cleanup crew soon, but wait until you have growth to feed them and start small. All in all, should grow out nicely. Maybe add some more stem plants to start up the tank the first few months the slowly switch to rooted. Just some advice when starting up a planted tank to help avoid algae blooms.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. I've got some Repens on the way. Was thinking about Pennywort or something similar. As of now I'm dosing 5ML of excel every thrid day. The wood has a fair amount of white fuzz on it. It was in the tank before but sat about 4 or 5 months in between moves. Pleco hit right away. I released him hoping to lead him right go the DW and it was perfect. Tank also has a few spots of green slimy algae.
The ram was probably a poor decision buy but its the first female I've seen locally in some time. Don't want a pair but the pink is such a nice touch on their colors. I'll do my best to make sure the levels stay consistent.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have about 25 MTS and I've seen few free bee pond snails or ramhorns. They're still super small but making their way around the glass.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also thinking Rotala. I've had some really good success with that stuff in smaller high tech tanks. Really curious to see what it will do under these conditions.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update about a month into stocking the tank. The plants are Wisteria, Ludwiga, Anachris, duckweed, crypts and an amazon sword. The fish are Neons, red minor and lamp eye tetras. GBR, angel fish, Cory cats, otos and a bristlenose. I'm dosing 5 ml of excel every other day now. Getting a ton of new growth from the crypts and ludwiga. The wisteria is growing more compact and broader leaves than it arrived with. So far so good. No algae booms. A few patches here and there but the otos and pleco make quick work of it. Thanks again Panther and Chenoth for the RAOKs. Will make sure to return the kindness once time to trim this thing comes around.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

A lot of changes since the last update. I moved all of the Tetras and Otos to a 40 long. Left the Cory Cats and Pleco in and added a Firemouth and an (for now) itty bitty Oscar. Moved around most of inside. Trimmed down/split and replanted everything. Added a bunch of rock I had laying around for another tank that remained empty for too long. Removed most of the duckweed and split it up between a few tanks. Dosing 5 ML of excel every 2 days.
 

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top