The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a little ecosystem kit with 2 brine shrimp in 2012. 1 died a few years ago, the other is still alive and it's @6 years old. Is this normal? How long is it possible for brine shrimp to live for?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I purchased a little ecosystem kit with 2 brine shrimp in 2012. 1 died a few years ago, the other is still alive and it's @6 years old. Is this normal? How long is it possible for brine shrimp to live for?
I think you may have nomenclature mixed up. Are we talking about Artemia? Brine shrimp reproduce without fertilization, a process called parthenogenesis. So, if you have one, you should quickly have many, many more...assuming brackish water is being used to keep them. No clue on how long they can actually live, but they reproduce rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think that you're right, but if it's not an Artemia what is it? I attached the best pic I could if anyone could help identify. There are no visible eggs and it has been solitary for at least 3 years.
Looks like a Neocaridina! Look up Neocaridina davidii and see if you get a match. There's a million color variations - red, yellow, blue, black, wild type - so you're looking more at body shape. The picture isn't great, but you may have a Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) that's either male, which are less colourful, or a lower grade female RCS.

How big is it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont think that they are cherry shrimp. They are much smaller and specifically called brine shrimp on the packaging and information card. I gave one to my wife during her first year of teaching. There was one shrimp left during her 10th year of teaching when a student knocked the ball of her desk by accident and broke it. I have one in my office now and it is going strong a year into it. So neat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.