The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My El Natural tank is taking off, but the down side is that I can't really see my shrimps anymore... Plus I want to try breeding my own CRS so here we go!

I found a perfect spot for the new shrimp rack that won't take too much space from my living room. It is under my kitchen countertop that I designed for bar stools but rarely been used.

I originally decided to go with 6 individual 10 gallon tanks running HMF as filter/divider plus air pump. But my friend fro Hong Kong, who has been breeding shrimp for a while, insisted that I need bigger water body and more filtering power. After some more brain storming and questioning around I came up with this:
6 connected tanks with sump plus HMF on each tank

The space is pretty tight so I have to build my own stand. Thanks for the experience from the last DIY ADA stand project I don't free stress at all! Here are some photos:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So is shrimp going to be on the menu then? ;)

This looks like an amazing project! Can't wait to see the system up and running.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments!
Of cause shrimp will be on the menu. It will be a CRS/CBS only rack. When the tanks are cycled I will first move my existing shrimps there to test it out. When I feel everything is fine, I will then ask my friend from Hong Kong to pick out and import some nicer quality cuties.

Here are some photos of spraying, drilling & preparing the tanks:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered 4 of these bulbs to try out. One was already burnt in 5 min 😣. Putting 2 of these on each tank seemed to produce med to high light. The outflow pipes seemed too long so I shorten them and added Poret foam to all the exits.

After test the plumbing system with water I realized that the pump is too powerful, and I need more outgoing power for the bottom two tanks. Tomorrow I am going to drill one more hole to the sump and add an additional pipe from the bottom left tank.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ebi! I do have a dinner table through 😆.
Spent the whole Saturday fixing plumbing & air tubing... Finally I have the soil added andnow the system is on test run! The tetra 500 pump doesn't seem to provide enough air for 5 tanks' HMF filter. I may have to change to use multiple small pumps in stead.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What kind of light bulb is that and where did you find it?
I was wondering the same thing.

I did a google image search and most of the results led me here.

It's rated between 6000-6500K for color temperature.

It would be interesting to get PAR readings on this style of bulb. Their design seems to negate the need of reflectors, and might be a good alternative to CFLs.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts