The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a 46 Bowfront with a 125w metal halide for a while now. I've been using DIY Co2 and have been overall pleased with the result.

I now would like to move my 125 gallon tank into the realm of planted community with a CO2 canister with a pinpoint CO2 meter etc. The lighting above the tank has three 250w metal halide bulbs and two 96 w pc's. If I run the metal halides alone thats 6 WPG ( 750/125 ) heck if I ran the pc's to I'd push it to 7+ wpg ( no I won't do that ).

I wonder what would happen if I just ran the MH's at 6 WPG.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If those lights are pendants and are suspended high enough above the water they will work fine for the plants. You may hate the bright light spill over, but the plants won't mind. Otherwise you will learn how to attack many different types of algae.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think you could easily get by with running 2 of those halides. If they were suspended a little, it could cover the whole tank more than adequately, but ditto on hoppy for light spillage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The light hood is left over from my reef tank which I had for a long time. Thats why I have all that wattage lying around.

Its hung from the ceiling about 8" above the top of the tank on chains and yes there is light spillage which is why I built a light weight removable tankhood for the which handles the light issues.

Maybe I could do something where I ran each lamp a small portion of the day or in combinations so each section got even illumination. I could pretend it was simulating moving cloudcover letting light through to different parts of the pond.

I'll mull it over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
put some fiberglass window screen over the tank to shade it a little...you can get roles of it from home depot
it works.. use as many layers of it to get it as dark as you want
;)
hth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts