The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, as noted in the title, I am in the planning phase of a 100g 72x18x18 tank, which will be planted. It will be view-able from three sides (only one short side will be placed to a wall.

Now the questions:
1. Sump or Canisters and why?
2. If sump what do you recommend for overflow box design, bearing in mind that I want to keep as little hardware in the tank as possible?
3. If sump, how many pipes or how big do i need my pipes to be to have a flow rate of 500 gph?
4. If canisters, how many and what brand?
5. Are there any issues i should be concern about if my outflows and inflow are on the one short side given that the tank is 6 ft (72 inches)?

Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sump or Canister really doesn't make much of a difference unless you plan on injecting CO2. If you are injecting CO2 there is less offgassing with a canister.

Your going to have a lot of dead spots in in the tank if you only have the water coming in on the one side. You can compensate for this by putting powerheads in the tank. Another option is to build a manifold to go under the substrate like on some of the river setups.

·
Registered
318 Posts
for a sump you can get a 55 or 40gl tank and go to Gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s.com for a overflow you can get a kit that comes with ever thing you need to put it on. or get a SunSun canister filer off of E-Buy

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

Today 02:40 PM
THE V Sump or Canister really doesn't make much of a difference unless you plan on injecting CO2. If you are injecting CO2 there is less offgassing with a canister.

Your going to have a lot of dead spots in in the tank if you only have the water coming in on the one side. You can compensate for this by putting powerheads in the tank. Another option is to build a manifold to go under the substrate like on some of the river setups.
Will look into the manifold but I could also easily drill the tank bottom.

Today 02:53 PM
Kareen for a sump you can get a 55 or 40gl tank and go to Gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s.com for a overflow you can get a kit that comes with ever thing you need to put it on. or get a SunSun canister filer off of E-Buy
just remember that I'm not from the US and international shipping is quite expensive.

can u drill the tank? if so sump or canister with intakes mid tank and returns on both ends.
Can drill the tank, just remember that it divides two rooms and can be viewed fro three sides so, I want to minimize the hardware inside the tank.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would love to be able to set a tank like that up.

Sumps can be quite quiet if set up properly. The Bean Animal overflow is extremely quiet (beananimal may return more results. It is a screen name on a reef forum). You can minimize the water crashing in to the sump to limit excessive offgassing. You can run a bigger pump with a sump to get more flow. Closed loop is an option too. One bigger efficient pump in a sump (I sound like Dr. Suess) can allow you to run multiple returns hidden thruout the tank, either burried or drilled through the bottom, and help keep the electric bill down.

·
Registered
100 Posts
there's 3 overflow drains #1 Durso (single pipe) can be noisy, no emergency back #2 Herbie drain has 2 pipes 1 main, second emergency, very quiet. #3 Bean animal drain, has 3 pipes, very quiet, large water flow, has large foot print, not practical for under 150 Gallons. The Bean is really used for large reef tanks to move million gallons per hour

You need to seal off your sump with duct tape, unless you use the Ecco sumps

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also there's the HOB overflow box's, I don't know how anyone can sleep at night using them though .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.