The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
934 Posts
I think it is to much I mean I ran 4 bulbs pumping co2 and using the EI method. I ended up with a tank full of algae 6 bulbs would be an algae farm in my opinion. However there are a few other factors. Firstly how high above the tank are you planning on hanging the lights mine are directly on the tank. Also what kind of lighting is this? I am referring to T5HO above. If you are using something less powerful you might not have any issues.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is to much I mean I ran 4 bulbs pumping co2 and using the EI method. I ended up with a tank full of algae 6 bulbs would be an algae farm in my opinion. However there are a few other factors. Firstly how high above the tank are you planning on hanging the lights mine are directly on the tank. Also what kind of lighting is this? I am referring to T5HO above. If you are using something less powerful you might not have any issues.
its going to be only 6" above the tank. the bulbs are T5HO. its a current nova extreme fixture

·
Banned
934 Posts
Yeah that is far to much in my opinion. I would thank at the very most you would want to go with 4 bulbs two 10k and two 6500k. Keeping them 6 inches above the tank should be close to the sweet spot. Run co2 and the EI method with that and I bet you end up with a lot of growth without a lot of algae.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have 2 10k's and 2 6500's on there now and im seeing a little algea. not sure if its from the lights though
Always hard to tell, lifting up to 12 inches won't hurt and would bring you down into the high light range from too high on Hoppy's chart. Might make algae control easier and might cut back on CO2 and fert usage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.