The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First journal for me. We recently moved to a smaller place closer to the city and I haven't the room to set up my 40H. Well I just happened to find myself at the LFS on black Friday and ran into this frameless Aquatop. I texted the wife to cancel my Christmas list.

I already had some gear lying about:
  • Seachem HOB (much more flow than I'll ultimately want but it adjusts down quite low. This for now).
  • Seachem Onyx Sand
  • Random heater (not pictured)
I was forced to purchase:
  • Aquatop high clarity bookshelf style (6.7x23.6x9.4 - 6.5gal)
  • Fluval Nano (plant spectrum 7500K 15watts)
I will plant one end heavily with buce and other slow growers tbd. The other will be comprised of bare sand and leaf litter. It unfortunately will not remain above 72° at room temperature so I will need a heating solution at least part of the year. Before I water-logged this spiderwood the whole of it fit below the height of the tank, ha. We'll see about a trim maybe.

Residents will be a group of Parosphromenus linkei

Here's Day 2:
Branch Wood Twig Automotive lighting Sunlight

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 7 Update: we have plants.

Plant Water Branch Wood Twig

Final flora list is
Homalomena humilis
Aridarum caulecens sp.
Homalomena "silver
"
Aridarum "narrow" (about 5 of these)
Cryptocoryne parva "mini"
x6
Littorella uniflora
x7

Now that the plants are in place I will be moving away from the window light. I have some ideas but I'll have to submit a chit up to Chief.

I've got the GH at 4 and KH at 3 now; pH 6.8 (liquid test) but I'm targeting about 5.8. I still have a fair amount of SuperPeat so I'll slowly creep it down over the next week. I'm not sure I'll be using peat anymore after this amount is gone for reasons. I have acid regulator anyhow. I need to calibrate my probe tonight so while I have it fresh I'll get another read on this tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can your HOB filter go on the left side? I feel like your tank flow would be inadequate for a long tank.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOB is temporary, though it is a 35gal filter. SunSun 603b out of stock everywhere I look so I am going with Oase filtosmart 60. It's inbound.

In other news, I trimmed down the exposed driftwood (pictures later). As much as I liked it, the tank will need to be lidded. Also, I was losing a lot more to evaporation with those branches exposed. Lid is out of stock everywhere too, save Canada (thanks guys).

I'm out of town while this one finishes up with cycling but when I get back fish should be on hand shortly after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts