The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6.5G Riparium

I planted this thing just tonight. This is a little broad and shallow tank that I made and it holds about 6.5 gallons.

I have some pretty nice little riparium plants in there. I have a few other things to add and I'm going to stock with some kind of nano fish, maybe some Boraras.

I'll write again later with some more details.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much. This kind of broad and shallow tank shape looks really good with riparium plants.

I added some sea grape leaves. I like sea grape better than magnolia because the leaves don't fall apart as much and make such a mess. These leaves will start to sink in the next few days.

Here is a quick list with the plants that I planted...

• Ruellia Dwarf Bluebell
  • Dichromena Star Grass
  • Acorus Japanese Sweetflag
  • Echindorus grandiflorus

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks awesome, ill be doing something similar with the 45f tank I recently picked up
Thanks. A 45F would also be a nice size and shape for a planting like this.

That looks really good. One day I'd like to do one of these.

BTW is that a bird in the upper left corner of the pic?
Thank you!

Well, it's not a real bird of course.

Reminds me of one that George Farmer recently put together. I'm thinking of doing something similar myself with a shallow tank. I just need to figure out the plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZReT8ho-04
That "insularium" is pretty much just a shallow paludarium.

Please see the list of plants that I included in my post above. You can also use various emersed aquarium plants, especially stems, for this kind of thing. Also dwarf hairgrass and various others in emersed form.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
...That "insularium" is pretty much just a shallow paludarium.

Please see the list of plants that I included in my post above. You can also use various emersed aquarium plants, especially stems, for this kind of thing. Also dwarf hairgrass and various others in emersed form.
Yes, the "insularium" term is linked to a line of products he's promoting. When I saw the video I thought, "Hyrdrophyte on TPT has been doing these for years in more standard sized tanks." I really like the look of it in a shallow tank. Thanks for the plant list.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the "insularium" term is linked to a line of products he's promoting. When I saw the video I thought, "Hyrdrophyte on TPT has been doing these for years in more standard sized tanks." I really like the look of it in a shallow tank. Thanks for the plant list.
Yep, this kind of planting looks really good in a shallow tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.