The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes, for my new tank project I plan to cut down on existing tanks and breeding racks by combining a rack into the sump. I've got a 1500x600x600 planted display tank to filter ,heat/cool & look pretty by removing unnecessary system components like heaters etc by putting them away under the cabinet.

Rack will be for shrimp breeding, namely CRS,CBS and TB varieties and CPD spawning.

I've already got a 1500L x360d x40h tank divided by glass into 5 equal 300mm sections with stainless steel mesh flow through ports so the tank could run off one single filter system.

My idea is to turn bays 1 & 5 into the inlet/media/filter & return pump/heater sections, and then divide the 3 remaining bays in half (150mm wide) with removable Perspex dividers with stainless mesh flow through ports. These dividers will sit about 20mm into an aqua soil substrate so water will also be able to flow under them through soil.

There will also be a eheim 2217 looping in and out of the sump to run a chiller through so I get the extra filtration of that too.

Sump will have a drilled emergency drain that goes under house out to garden.
I would also like to have an R/O ATO incorporated somehow.

Here are some sketches, please excuse the roughness.

excuse 380 dimension, should read 360mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only thing I can think of would be putting the emergency drain in the inflow side of the sump, that way it will function if your stainless steel flow through ports clog up
yeah I've also though of drilling the dividers at the top for emergency overflow relief.

Here's some shots of the donor tank to become the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
What happen if your mesh gets plug up? It looks to me like your dividers go up to the top of the tank if so the water would over flow the tank. You need to plan for that happening as time goes on they will plug.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happen if your mesh gets plug up? It looks to me like your dividers go up to the top of the tank if so the water would over flow the tank. You need to plan for that happening as time goes on they will plug.

That's why I thought of drilling as mentioned above. But it's going my to less complex than that it seems. The current glass dividers are made of 4 pieces of glass. 2 long pieces on the sides and in the middle there are 2 shorter ones top and bottom with the mesh in between (I guess Easier than cutting a hole in one glass sheet) it looks like I can simply cut the silicone holding the top middle panel out, then cut the glass to shorten it allowing it to act like a weir in case of mesh blocking up.

It's really more the design of the actual sump components that I'd like advice on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's why I thought of drilling as mentioned above. But it's going my to less complex than that it seems. The current glass dividers are made of 4 pieces of glass. 2 long pieces on the sides and in the middle there are 2 shorter ones top and bottom with the mesh in between (I guess Easier than cutting a hole in one glass sheet) it looks like I can simply cut the silicone holding the top middle panel out, then cut the glass to shorten it allowing it to act like a weir in case of mesh blocking up.

It's really more the design of the actual sump components that I'd like advice on.
cutting the glass will be the best route for a blockage, also whte emergency overflow should be bigger diameter than that of the inlet pipe so it will never have a flow issue, i had a lot of my old saltwater sumps setup this way incase anything happened when i was gone it would just drain by itself with peace of mind.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Your sump design should work well. You shouldn't need your eheim, your wet dry should be plenty of filter. What size pump are you planning. I have over 1400 gallon running thru a sump and I would guess you would need some were around 500 to 800 gallon an hour. I like your design it should be pretty easy to take care of. I still would rather see some way for the water to escape if some how over the top of those dividers. Yes having way to dump water is fine I worry more about the pump being without water if something happens. I just have seen some weird things happen things that weren't plan on. I guess I plan for the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your sump design should work well. You shouldn't need your eheim, your wet dry should be plenty of filter. What size pump are you planning. I have over 1400 gallon running thru a sump and I would guess you would need some were around 500 to 800 gallon an hour. I like your design it should be pretty easy to take care of. I still would rather see some way for the water to escape if some how over the top of those dividers. Yes having way to dump water is fine I worry more about the pump being without water if something happens. I just have seen some weird things happen things that weren't plan on. I guess I plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info Clearwater, I have not decided on the size of the return pump, but I'll take what you have mentioned into consideration as well as total system volume.

The Eheim is not really for filtration, more just for running the chiller which could also be done with a pump, but I've already got a few eheims to spare. Plus it's extra space for purigen, carbon etc if I needed or simply to seed the system or have as back up.

Definitely planning to lower the glass on the dividers, a bit of silicone cutting and I'll be able to remove the middle glass pieces (dividers made of 4 pieces of glass vertically) and cut them down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started removing the center/top pieces of glass today.

This is what they look like removed

And now they are out I can start working out where the baffles and divider sections will be.

This is my planned markup of the sump layout - open to comments or suggestions to modify or improve the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.