The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, my LFS the lower ranges in the light output spectrum would be better for plants, because they absorb yellows and reds more.

But what's this 9235k or 10k business? Apparently, this is good for plants, too?

Are they both good? Do they just do different things?

Thanks!

FF

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
6,700K is ideal for live plants though some find it a bit too green/yellow. I personaly don't mind it too much. On my tank I have a mix of 6,700K and 10,000K. It gives the tank a nice bright clean look.

I want to say that the lower K values (below 6,700K) are good for growing plants but it isn't so hot with viewing the tank and fish.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Plants will grow well in a color spectrum between 5,000 K and 10,000 K, so either one would work!

I personally like a mix of 10,000 K and 6700 K bulbs - the bluish from the 10K and yellowish from the 6700K combine to make a light which is very flattering for both plants and fish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
plants don't see kelvins. if you're using fluorescents anything that's full spectrum will work. bulbs with only large blue peaks won't be as useful.

ie; 18000k is as good as 2800k or 5000k if the right spectral peaks are present; since the kelvin rating is just an approximation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.