The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5gal Mini-Bow for my RCS. I'm still using the hood that came with it, but have been looking at different light bulbs for it. I have two. One is a 13W spiral (claims to be 60W?), the other is a 10W flourescent. Which is best?

I am growing a few light demanding plants (dwarf hairgrass is among them), and want to give them the best possible lighting with out having to get a new fixture.

Until today I was using the spiral bulb but remembered that I read somewhere that flourescent is always better. Anyway, the hairgrass was doing wonderfully under the spiral. I noticed 1/2-3/4" growth of new leaves/blades since I planted it 5 days ago. However, the shrimp seem a little more active and relaxed since I switched to the flourescent.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well just look for a spiral that has a higher Kelvin rating. try to shoot for a 6500K-10000K spiral, these will be whiter. if you can't find one then go with the florescent but you may want to add another because personally I have a 18watt fixture over my 5.5gal water sprite/java moss tank and I don't think it's enough, though may be due to the 50+ baby fry pooping up the place. the 60watts thing is it's saying that the brightness of the light is equivalent to an 60watt incandescent bulb, just one more thing I usually ignore on the box.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i would say to go with whichever looks brighter. Rex pointed out to me that the specs on those spiral energy saver type bulbs aren't accurate enough to depend on. I'm using TWO of the same 13watt spirals though (from costco) and it's pretty yellow, but my 5gal is lit well and the plants grow great when i added diy co2. technically speaking, that should be 26watts or 120 watts equivalent but when judging it by eye, it seems just medium, maybe even low light, so if you use one i don't think it'll be enough.. hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.