The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey PT peoples! So I thought I'd start a thread for the restart of this tank, get some feedback... The idea is to redo the tank and eventually put in some nice fire reds, or something Neo. Here's what we've got so far-

Equip:
Tank- It's a 5g Fluval Chi, modified to be open top (essentially all the guts ripped out) 10'' x 10'' x 12''.
Light- Clip on Fluval 13w, brand spankin new bulb
Filter- We have an AC 30 that was on it previously, but I wouldn't mind getting another mini-canister for this, we'll see.

Hardscape, etc:
Eco Complete/Brightwell mix- **Changed to: Flourite 'Dark'**
Ohko-ish stone
Cholla wood, holla
alder cones

Planned Flora:
Fissidens fontanus
Fissidens Geppi
rose moss
Anchor moss
mini-xmas moss
stagocourne repens
bucce: 'Mini-Coin', 'Brownie Red', 'Bukit Green'
annubias nana micro? Maybe?

Planned Fauna:
As said, definitely Neocaridina- probably fire reds, and some kind of microfish if we find something we like. Still deciding.

So, enough lists- pics:

I will say, this rock was a huge PITA to clean, though I am glad I took my time- there were so many holes and nooks I never even saw until I scraped the mud out of them. Felt like a crackhead raccoon, scrubbing rocks for hours. But it was worth it. Just beautiful stone...nooks and holes and crannies galore, it's just screaming for moss.

Though this rock is super sexy, 'scaping with it in such a tiny footprint is driving me insane. Tried a lot of things.

I had settled on that last one, but after feeling it out for a couple days I decided it wasn't right- side views were kinda jenky and it looked a little too...even... and predictable for me. I dunno. So I played around again and am pretty sure this is it:

Side view, much better:

I'm thinking, "rockslide turns to moss/epiphyte-rich bank" kind of thing...lots of tiny plants, no stems. Thoughts? I also have a tiny wood piece that would fit, like so:

I'll probably sit on this awhile, live with it while we plan our massive moss-and-goodies order (mwah ha ha).

Question- are any of those shrimp bacteria powder start-up products worth it, should we look into them? We've never used them before. Usually just seed with filter mulm from an established tank and run a few months with fish. Does it really do anything we can't with patient cycling?

So excited to get it going, though! I think this might be my new favorite tank...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like it! Better without the wood IMHO. Is that a Paphiopedilum on your counter?
Thank you. Yes, I can't decide on the wood...maybe after it's planted.
And yes! It IS. Lol, good eye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So once the new substrate went in, I started playing around again. (Am I indecisive? I'm not sure...har.har.) This is it.

Front-

Right-

Left-

I blasphemed- broke apart one of our nice ADA stones for a smaller piece, plus rubble. I don't know why that feels like such a sin, but as usual...sin feels GOOD. Glad I did. I think it does look much more natural...thanks for the rubble suggestion, High5's!

And then...THIS came this morning. I am blown away by H4n's care and expert packaging (for our rediculous high temps here in the south), and gorgeous plants, they look great... The shipping gods were kind.

Yaaaay! Now the fun begins. Time to play...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Isn't is sad that [email protected] isn't a seller here anymore? I bought two packages from him and all the plants were in immaculate condition every time. Gotta hate politics and bs, right?

The hardscape looks immense btw. Makes the chi looks much larger than it is! What plants did you order?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't is sad that [email protected] isn't a seller here anymore? I bought two packages from him and all the plants were in immaculate condition every time. Gotta hate politics and bs, right?

The hardscape looks immense btw. Makes the chi looks much larger than it is! What plants did you order?
Yeah I heard that he wasn't here anymore. Caught up with him on Shrimp Spot. but I'm not exactly a regular around here, so I have no idea what happened...all I can say is he's a great seller, I'm thrilled.

And thanks! That was the idea, to pack it as full as possible. I need TONS of nooks and crannies for the mosses and bucce. The tiny footprint of the Chi is tough, for sure. Nanos always are.

Oh, I ordered tons of stuff- his plant list is positively drool-worthy.
I got the bucces and mosses listed in the OP, and some mini-marimo balls, Echinodorus 'vesuvius', Ludwigia 'curly', marsilea quadrifolia, staurogyne repens for our other tanks. I'm in plant heaven right now. :biggrin:

Bump:
Very intense scape. Curious to see how you plant it.
Yeah, me too... ha.
Hopefully it'll be close to what I have in my mind. But that's always the challenge, isn't it. We shall see.
Starting to look into DSM, never tried it before but I think this might be a great place to start. I'm doing my research now, and I'll see what the hubby thinks.

Anyone ever see someone successfully DSM with mosses on rock, without the help of a nutritious substrate? I'm having trouble finding a similar situation so far. Usually it's carpet, maybe mosses on wood...think it's possible? Or, advisable? Lol. If any of you have suggestions, feel free...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after browsing the forum and getting inspired, we went for it. Decided to leave out the yogurt/beer component. Chopped mosses and added a little water, then painted them on.

Now it's a waiting game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.