The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a moss covered log, then removed it after about 1 month the moss was not doing too well and appeared to be dying.

now the moss has covered the entire other side of the tank and is growing on some of the substrate.

so my question is, is this moss or just massive algae?

Its not hindering any plants yet, but will it take over everything????

help DSC03640.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

DSC03639.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
on the fourth picture,the right sided one is java moss...im not sure about the left one though...it could be algae

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I think it is algae also!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on pic #1 that was the moss covered log and you can see the mopani wood i have in there was bare at the time. it was supposed to be flame moss if i remember correctly???

So what should i do with it????

any suggestions???

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
if you like the way it looks leave it. if you dont like it pull it out and treat what you could not pull out with excell.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like it on the wood. but i dont like it on the substrate or on any of the plants.

i def dont want it to consume my little tank.
(this enormous forest of algae) lol

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i kind of like the way it looks but spot treat with excell without the filter on and that should kill it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok one last question and i think im good-
I know cladophora algae is hard to remove 100% is it harmful to my fish?

is it ok to leave it?
i will pry try to remove it.
thanks for everything

cladophora.jpg

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i read online that this is the same family of algae that make those marimo balls???? huh? weird?

the last pic i added was found online of cladophora algae.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
It's cladophora algae. Marimo balls are a non invasive type of cladophora algae but it looks like you have something more like the pest algae. If it isn't covering your plants, I think it would be fine to keep.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have that algae and it took over my java moss on the log in my 10 gallon. it does look beautiful though and because it is growing on the java-moss instead of directly on the log or substrate it is easy to rip out and throw away when it gets to be to much. But be warned it does catch extra fish food and debris.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im so sad cause i thought it was moss :(

lol, i took most of it off the log and will add pics after i get it under control.

mite try some type of moss later.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
thats definitely some hair algae. i had some in a 20 gallon that was cool looking, but after a while it can start to grow all over your tank, all your wood, and even all over you glass, filter and heater. my advice would be to get rid of it. dip the wood and what ever else it is on in hydrogen peroxide for 1 or 2 minutes and it will die. just the use the regular 3% stuff that costs like a buck at walmart instead of the expensive excel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts