The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey PT, I traded 8 Fire red shrimp (thanks to dmattbfan5 for that) for two CPO's back in June. I quickly went out and bought a cheap walmart 5g glass tank with ans Aquatech filter. My goal was and still is to have as many shrimp as the tank can sustain and then move some to my 55g. I used plants from my 55g and some of the filter mesh from one of my filters on the 55g also to get it cycling asap.
I held the shrimp in my 55 for 2 weeks then put them in their new home! Since then I think I've had 2 deaths from the original 8. I do 20% water changes weekly and they seem to like my water. Best part, the babies. I have some pictures I'll put below, but my got they just started breeding like rats! I was told with shrimp its like you have a few then out of nowhere, BOOM shrimp load! haha I took the best shots I could, I think there must be at least 50 shrimp now. The bigger babies are shoring great color already! Maybe I'll have enough to sell by next year!

Btw, I dont fertilize this tank at all the the plants seem to do well.

Sorry for the crap pics, crap camera! Thanks again to Dmattbfan5 for getting me started!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looking good!! I saw the same with my cherries, not much for a good 4-5 weeks, then BAM i had over 75 shrimp from an initial 20. Now i have over 100!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow... awesome progress

What gh/kh do you keep them in?

I'm away for the weekend sorry. Mondays happen to be my water change day though, so before I do that I'll check the gh/kh becuase I cant remember off the top of my head! I'll get back to you on that for sure though

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you do with all your extra shrimp?

Fish food?

Haha actually the 2 that died turned into fish food. My actual goal is to use none as food and use as many as I can for what their meant to do....be cleaner shrimp!.....with amazing color lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts