The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A recent move forced me to break down my five gallon Fluval Edge that I was using for a Endler tank. This time I'm going super simple with just shrimp, and locally collected plants. Starting off with Aqua Soil, a couple Hygrophila Polysperma, Hydrocotyle tripartita and some locally collected "star moss" and mossy rocks. Not sure if the moss can grow submerged but I'll soon find out. :) Oh and you may of noticed I don't have shrimp yet, still trying to figure out what type I want to go with... *Edit- There's CRS, Cherry, Amano.

5/18/12

5/16/12

4/27/12

4/4/12

2/11/12

12/3/11

11/21/11

10/13/11

It fits perfectly on an antique sewing machine cabinet. On the floor you can see the old stainless steel rimmed aquarium I just picked up. That will be a project for another day!

[/B]

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

I would go with crystal black shrimp for this if your water allows.
I'm thinking OEBT or CRS shrimp... ;)
It's beautiful. Your moss looks great. Subscribed.
I really hope the moss transitions to submerged growth, I really like how it looks too!
beautiful XD I love the black background, it contrasts well with the plants :p Everything looks healthy too
What's an XD? I don't have a black background, just the first picture is a faster shutter speed so it only picks up the tank light. ;)

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love that aquarium on the floor!! Hope you will do a journal when you start it, where'd ya get it? I like the Edge too, I think simple setups are some of the best looking ones.
I think the modern tank goes perfect with the antique table! I was also able to hide all the cords inside the table so it looks much cleaner now. The tank on the floor is a vintage Pemco 10G aquarium I picked up at a thrift store for $6. I haven't had time to clean it up or even see if it still holds water but I couldn't pass it up for that!
*subscribed* I love seeing what other people are doing with their Edge!
Here's my first setup with the Edge, it shows my lighting mod: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/126779-edge-6g.html

·
Registered
352 Posts
What're you using for your lights? In your second pic they seem to be pretty bright. I'm using the mr11 LED's and a 5" 10W cfl bulb and it still seems to be so dim... I remember it being so much brighter, the led's still have all 10 working and the cfl I don't think should be that dim yet I can't figure out why it's so dissapointing

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What're you using for your lights? In your second pic they seem to be pretty bright. I'm using the mr11 LED's and a 5" 10W cfl bulb and it still seems to be so dim... I remember it being so much brighter, the led's still have all 10 working and the cfl I don't think should be that dim yet I can't figure out why it's so dissapointing
Check the link in my post above or click the link in my sig. ;) The stock lighting on the Edge does suck. I tried the MR11's and they weren't much better. With my current lighting I think I could grow pretty much anything... as long as I don't put the hood on!

·
The Weather's Here
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Almost two week update- The moss on the rocks seems to be doing well. I've even noticed two small plants starting to grow out of the moss, gotta love hitch hikers! I was able to hide the cords up in the cabinet so it looks much cleaner now.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.