The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I first started setting up this tank about 8 months ago. For the first two I was really going at it, but then I gradually gave it less and less attention until I gave it none at all. So now that spring has sprung I think it's finally time to do something with it. I threw out all the dying plants, cleaned the filter, rearanged the manzanita, did multiple 100% water changes, and ordered better lights. Now it just has some jungle Val that I may or may not keep, a few rcs, and hoards of snails. The water's still cloudy, but here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The lights came in. It's three 23watt 6500k cfls, that should give me about 65par. (i think, I hope) I also got it all planted. My plant list is
Rotala green, rotala h'ra, blyxa japonica, hydrocotyle japan, and eleocharis belem. I was able to plant most everything in about 30min, but the DHG carpet took me like 3 hours!! I started with 40 square inches, and broke them off individually to plant. I am very happy with it, as I was able to cover the whole foreground. Here's a pic of the tank, and then some of my shrimp cleaning the DHG for me, and the last one cuz I like it :laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A small update. The blyxa is growing very well, it turned a much brighter green then when I first received it. The hydrocotyle japan and rotalas are doing well too, but the DHG not so much.
I splurged on a co2 system :surprise:
I bought a 5lb tank and am waiting for my regulator and other stuff to come in the mail! Here's another pic. It's annoying the way my lights create this spotlight effect
:| oh well

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few updates.
I delt with a plague of milky water. I tried everything I could think of to resolve it. Finally I figured out that I had an excess of mulm build up in a hard to see spot. So I did a 75% water, vacuuming up as much mulm as I could and it worked. That was yesterday. Here is a shot of the tank this morning.
My Columbians are doing good, no deaths. They always are in a loose shoal and my rainbow loves swimming with them.
As far as plants go, I added a large beautiful bolbitis. (IDK why the pic is sideways) The rotalas aren't doing so hot and neither is my DHG belem. I think the milky water caused them to have a lack of light.
I recently noticed that my rcs have bred into a multitude of colors. I've seen ones that are chocolate, beige, and transparent, but the majoraty still remains red. Although I can't call it red, it's more pink like the one in the photo.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.