The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I am new to the forum and new to planted tanks. I have a fluorite/capped with black Tahitian sand planted tank and I am looking to switch LED lights I've been looking at the Finnex ray 2, finnex sugeray and the innovative skkye LED. I am leaning towards the finnex because of the great reviews I have heard here. My question is because I have a Column Tank
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804456
that measure 30" W x 18" D x 24" H I have about 4 inches of soil/sand leaving about 20"H will they hit the bottom of the tank and still be Medium/high light?

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colorado- three questions what are you using now for lighting now? Also the Ray2 30'' is the the depth the Par will hit or the length, I asked because when I measured my tank (the light was only 24" long). Also what did you do to get around the black support in the middle of the tank.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Currently using the stock light that came with the tank--pretty minimal lighting.

I don't know the stats for the Ray2 yet, The Finnex rep said he'd post them as soon as they had the light.

As to the brace, I'm ignoring it. I'm not so hardcore that I'm worried about it. Somewhere on one of the forums were pics from a fellow who removed the brace and replaced it with a piece of clear lexan. Another person suggested using two 18" inch light front to back, which I guess would work but I fear would be ugly and bulky. Folks have also suggested using standard clamp-on work lights with the right CFL bulbs.

I really am trying to figure out what to do for lighting. If the Ray2 isn't the way to go, I'll likely just buy a 2 bulb T5 setup and see what happens. I don't have the budget to spend several hundred dollars on lighting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.