The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shortly after starting up my first aquarium (planted or otherwise) in this 55gal tank I saw pictures of paludariums and knew that I had to have one. Fast forward 2.5yrs and the time has finally come. We had to treat the house for termites and as such, all inhabitants of the planted tank had to be removed during the process. What a perfect time to rescape the tank. I rehomed all the fish and relocated my colony of RCS to a 5gal bucket with a cycled sponge filter and heater. This is going to be a lightning-quick build as I want to minimize the time the RCS spend in a bucket.

I started with a sheet of light diffuser, 48lb of rock, Malaysian drift wood (also carried over), and a can of pond foam.

The return is on the viewer's right and will flow through the hollow section of the upper driftwood (I hope ;) ).

Terrestrial Plants:
I honestly have no idea other than pothos and maybe swiss cheese.

Aquatic Plants:
TBD mosses
Anubias nana (only plant I kept from the previous setup)

Animals:
Red Cherry Shrimp (carried over)
Amano Shrimp (carried over)
White Cloud Minnows

Mechanics:
Ehiem Pro4+ Cannister
In-line heater

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
you should check out serpadesign on youtube he has quite few paludariums.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
cool I follow him too, but I have'nt had a chance to set one up yet... someday. I will be following.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a very glamorous update but the goal was to get the tank back up ASAP.

This is very much “trial and error” journal as I figure out how to not kill plants above water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very nice are you gonna have any living things above the water line?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
You could have isopods or spring tails.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could have isopods or spring tails.

I'd love some isopods or springtails but not sure I have enough landmass for them. I've also thought about possibly a vampire crab but I'd have to bridge the two islands to get enough landmass for it to be happy. For now, I think I'll focus on getting a healthy set of plants above and below the water before I venture into something living above the water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking good. I would love to do a large one for mudskippers, had one years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the land mass should be more than enough for spring tails. Vampire crabs. That would look nice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moved some things around and added a few new plants: 3 Air Plants and a fern. I’ve also started building a bridge between the two islands to allow more space for a semi-aquatic animal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pond foam has cured and been trimmed to fit. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks so far.

Now I just need to decide on a plant to soften the transition from land to water and what substrate to use in the land area. I'm considering HC, java or Christmas moss but am open to suggestions.

IMG_1266.JPEG
IMG_1267.JPEG

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’ve added some new plants & fish. Also, I can not seem to get the hard water spots off the glass so excuse the glare & spotty pics.

Submersed
S. Repens, dwarf baby tears

Emersed:
Ludwigia

Terrestrial
Baby fern, anthurium, air plants

Fish:
Celestial Pearl Danio x10
Otocinclus x2 (last two the store had)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looking good.

Where do you get your hard scape from?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where do you get your hardscape from?
Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed your comment.

The Malaysian driftwood came with the tank when I picked it up on craigslist a few years ago. The rock came from a local landscape rock company for $0.33/lb. I was able to handpick the large & medium rocks while there so I played with the stacking/layout on site.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok good to know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts