The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've done it this time. My 55gal had some algae, and I saw some stuff at Petsmart that said it would rid the tank of algae without harming plants or fish. Unfortunately, this was also at a time when a lot of things were going on, so didn't have time for the tank. Before I knew what was happening, I had lost several fish, all my mystery snails, and 75% of the plants in the tank had melted! I'm assuming it's the !%*& stuff I put in the tank. The kh and pH went thru the roof. I'm doing massive water changes, using part RO water, so will see what happens. That's what I get for taking the easy way out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had to talk sooooo many people out of chemical algacide when I worked at TFP last summer... I'm sorry to hear about your tank, but I'm glad to know that my advice wasn't for nothing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
man, that sucks. i know how the busy-ness can make you long for the easy way...

random sidenote... i'm a newb, what's RO water?

also, not sure if you're interested, but i've got some moneywort thats growing like crazy and needs trimming, if you want any...

good luck getting the tank back.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course, I didn't have sense enough to check the ammonia when I checked the pH and kh, but the ammonia now is 0. I salvaged what I could, and stuffed plants in my nanos, the fish are toughing it out and haven't lost any more. I had just purchased 6 rainbows, and they never even acted like it bothered them. Ovenmit, thanks for the offer of some moneywort, but until I get this straightened out, I'm just going to add a few plants at a time back into the tank and see how it goes. No point in melting some more! A little algae would have been a lot better than what my tank looks like now. Oh, well, another lesson learned, and it certainly won't be my last mistake, and my nanos look like beautiful jungles right now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.