The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 55G Bow front tank which is leaking at the bottom back left corner. It's not leaking very much, maybe 1-2 tablespoons a day.

Anyways, the leak appears to be coming from underneath the paneling that runs around the bottom of the tank. Should I pry off that paneling and see exactly where the leak is coming from, or could that cause it to get worse?

Also, once I identify the point of leakage, what's the best way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I would not take off the bottom rim. It is part of the structure, and most likely severing it will cause it to leak worse, or even result in a blowout.

I would empty the tank, remove the silicone in the corners between the glass panels (that's a lot of work), clean it well, and then re-silicone it.

Or buy a new tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree , taking the bottom rim off will most likely cause more leaking around the entire bottome off the tank. It can more then likely be repaired, but it is going to take some time. Remove everything from the tank. Place the tank on some supports , and add no more then an inch of water, som you can mark where the leak appears. Drain the water, dry the tank and remove the silicon sealant about 4 inches in each direction from where the leak appeared. Allow about 24 hours for the silcon to cure. Them repeat the process off putting no more then an inch of water in the tank to check for a leak. If all is good, drain the water place the tank outside on a stable base and start filling it to see if it leaks anywhere a eslse where you made the repair.

·
Registered
743 Posts
dump the tank get another one . say no to bow front forever.! bow front seen to get more chance to leak than any other type of tank , once its leak and take all the old silicon out and re-seal because its BOW type mostlikely will leak again in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts