The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
they turtle in the first picture basking doesnt look like a RES....he's so thick shelled...

I used to have two RES in a 55 gallon that ended up being two females. I had to put them up for adoption though because they were getting too big and I had no where to put them. THey went to a good home though. good luck with yours. Hope you have a bigger tank because they grow fast!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they turtle in the first picture basking doesnt look like a RES....he's so thick shelled...

I used to have two RES in a 55 gallon that ended up being two females. I had to put them up for adoption though because they were getting too big and I had no where to put them. THey went to a good home though. good luck with yours. Hope you have a bigger tank because they grow fast!
That's because that's not a real turtle ;)

Yeah RES eventually grow to 10-12 inches (depending on their sex) and will need a 100-120 gallon tank or small pond. I am going to make a small pond out of a large Rubbermaid container once it outgrows the 55 gallon tank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
nice looking set up and its great to see i'm not the only one that goes bare bottom on the tanks, anything else is too much work and collects too much waste. I'll have to post pics of my turtles tub/pond after i get them warmed up for summer.

I've got about a half dozen adults RES in there including two of the prettiest and one of the largest i've seen outside of logs in the wild. They've been cooling for winter so soon my males should be going ape for the women and hopefully i'll be getting eggs this summer. more importantly hopefully the females figure out where to put them.

Great looking set up and one awesome looking little bugger. RES are probably my third favorite turtle behind asian softshells and snapping turtles. Horribly messy critters though :D

jason

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice looking set up and its great to see i'm not the only one that goes bare bottom on the tanks, anything else is too much work and collects too much waste. I'll have to post pics of my turtles tub/pond after i get them warmed up for summer.

I've got about a half dozen adults RES in there including two of the prettiest and one of the largest i've seen outside of logs in the wild. They've been cooling for winter so soon my males should be going ape for the women and hopefully i'll be getting eggs this summer. more importantly hopefully the females figure out where to put them.

Great looking set up and one awesome looking little bugger. RES are probably my third favorite turtle behind asian softshells and snapping turtles. Horribly messy critters though :D

jason
Thank you Jason :D I would love to see pictures of you pond :)

Wow 6 RES and you want them to breed? I hope you are not intending to sell them! There are far too many RES already in the pet trade being bought cheap, put in small containers, killed, or thrown out :(

RES are by far my favorite species of turtle :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.