The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:I'm starting a 55g planted tank gonna have 2 schools of tetra neon and another haven't desided yet. Plus possibly platies or guppies and red shrimp with a possiblity of snails of some sort. I need suggestions on background plants,mid , and foreground probably a carpet for the foreground . I also need suggestions on another tetra and platy if at all plus what kind of snail?I also would like suggestions on numbers of each..:help:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Plant Options

Good morning Dr...

Attached are some pics of three 55 G tanks I use to experiment with plants. The tanks have a number of different ones and if you see one you'd like, I can probably give you some info. on it.

Most of the plants are easy to grow, need less than a watt of light per gallon of tank size and if you dose some ferts regularly, most would work very well in your new tank.

If this is too much "brain damage" then there's always another way to approach your plant situation.

B

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Plant selection depends on your set up. How much light? Are you using an enriched substrate like potting soil or mineralized topsoil? Are you planning to use CO2? Are you planning to use wood or stone for hard scape that can be planted?

The neon tetras, guppies and platies are fine with plants. The pond, Malaysian Trumpet and ramshorn snails haven't bothered my plants. I did buy a few nerite snails that didn't bother plants but they didn't live long.

Have to put a plug in for Corydoras catfish. They are lots of fun to watch and inhabit a different area of the tank than the tetras and livebearers. Consider adding about 6 of them. I would love to see a school of 20 neons, 4 female and 2 male platies and 6 Corydoras. There is room for more of any of the above or adding another school of fish of similar size. Baby platies or guppies mostly get eaten in my tank but a few survive to adulthood with the cover of the well planted tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.