The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This will be my log from start to the hopeful finish of my 55 gallon tank. I got the tank on the 21st so there is a lot of progress to be made here.

All I bought so far is a set consisting of the tank, stand, and glass top. My plan is to add the substrate and fill to top and let it settle until I buy more supplies. Next I am hoping to buy the filter, Eheim 2217, heater, Hydor inline, and API test kit. Once I have that set up I will start on the fishless cycle. Later on I will buy the lighting and anything else.

For lights I am not sure on what to get yet. I was looking into the Current Nova 2x54w. I wanted to make a low tech tank with no pressured CO2 and maybe some simple dosing if needed. If CO2 was needed I can only have DIY at this point.

As for the fish I have just began thinking of what I want to stock. Here is what I am thinking so far.

Now on to tank pictures.

The tank filled with some water to check for any bottom leaks.

Sand, The substrate I picked. I bought 2 50 pound bags.

The tank with sand and filled fully.

Well it seems like I did a good job cleaning the sand as that last picture was taken right after filling.

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I bought my heater. Hydor eth 300W. The filter is on the way.

I found a simple Mbuna setup that sounds interesting.

With the Mbuna setup in mind I started creating a set up in paint.

I was thinking of having rock mounds with java moss on top and caves inside. Possibly a small piece of driftwood in the middle. Then low light plants to fill in sides and back leaving the middle mostly open.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice tank!

I went down to a stream near my house today and got some rocks. I am unsure if I will end up using them or not but here is a picture.

Sorry the picture is a little blueish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My heater in my 10 gallon tank decide that it did not want to turn off this morning. Its a good thing I checked the temp before it got to high. After school I went to Petsmart since my lfs is closed on Mondays... I ended up getting a Hydor theo heater, 50w. I guess its better than that 100w off brand I had. In good news my filter and API test kit are coming on the 12/2.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Nice tank, have one just like it.
I think you have a great start here.
Don't know about your stock list, the clown loach, might get a little too big.
BN would be a better choice
The gurami and angels might be a problem.
Love the apisto choice!
5 loaches, don't know.
small corys might be better.

love the drift wood.

let's see more!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the filter and test kit came today. Turns out I will not be able to use the 300w heater so I will be returning it and buying a steath 200w.

Filter under the stand.

Filter intake.

Spray bar. Man I need a heater in there..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The heater should go on the output which is 12mm not the 16mm needed. On the 2217 the input is 16mm and output is 12mm. My lfs is out of these heaters so I am not able to exchange it for the 200w that has 12mm tubing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
because thats where they decided to put it. i you are worried about the fit of the hoses i would suggest keeping the 300w and just getting a few adaptors to change hose sizes and keep it on the output of the filter. but i honestly can't see a problem with it being on the intake side of the filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I decide to give that 100w heater from my 10 gallon a try on the 55 gallon. When I got home today the temp was 79. This shows me the 300w is just an overkill for the tank. The 100w seams to be turning off now too.

Since the temp was up and not cold anymore I'm going to start the fishless cycle.

Water tap test results:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm
pH: 7.6

Day 1:
I added 10 ml of ammonia.
I tested about 15 min later and it was about 1-2 ppm
About an hour later: 1-2 ppm
I'm thinking I may have to add more ammonia.

I added another 15ml to make it a total of 25ml to get what look's like around 4ppm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 4:
Ammonia seems to be a little bit lower, possibly 3 ppm.
Temperature has been staying around 79-80.

I returned the heater. I also bought a stealth pro 200w and a 25' python to ease cleaning and filling of the tank.

I am looking into trying to find some limestone locally but it seems to be more difficult this time of the year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today has been a relatively good day. I Turned 17! On a more scary note my power went out for 8 hours. The 55 gallon dropped from 79-80 in the morning to 72 when I got home. But it was 72 after the power was on for about an hour heating. The house temp apparently dropped to the lower 60's. My fish in the 10 gallon seem to be doing good even with the cool temperature they expertienced today.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 10 of the cycle. I took a filter pad out of my 10 gallon and put it in the filter for the 55 gallon. The next morning the ammonia is around 1-2 ppm. I will retest ammonia and for nitrites and nitrates later to confirm that the tank is cycled. I would continue adding ammonia to the tank until I get fish.

I think the Mbuna tank idea is out since I am not able to find any limestone around here. I will go back to having angles as the center piece.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.