The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being out of the fish tank hobby for about a year, I decided to get back into it.
Here is my setup.
55 gallon tank, eheim pro 2028, CO2.
I have 2 questions... First of all I want to get a T5HO light 48 inch. I have been looking online for them but really havent found any good deals. Most likely 4x54watt. Any recommendations on sites?
Secondly, a quick CO2 question... I cant decide on what to do with the output of the CO2. I have both the redsea (spins co2 in the water) or the ceramic disc. Which should i use?
I really appreciate all of your input. Thanks, Jeb ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hey Jeb you can check out Catalina Aquarium I just got the 4x54watt solar t5ho 48in just email them and ask if they will have it on sale for $185 again and they will hook you up. As for the co2 make a diy reactor there are a few different ones on here. Also check out my journal or Suga Shack - Sara's 55 gallon she and I run the same lighting.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
4 x 54 watt T5HO lights is much more light intensity than you need to grow any plants. That much light is much more appropriate for a reef tank. 2X 54 watt T5HO is even high light and near the maximum range of high light for a 55 gallon tank. But, raising a 2 x 54 watt T5HO fixture about 2-4 inches above the top of the tank gives very good high light for that tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heineken, thank you very much, that does sound like a good deal. I had a DIY reactor previously and it never worked the way i wanted, just made air bubbles in the canister. Sigh. Ill check out both of the journals. Thanks for your input.

Hoppy, Do you think 2x54 would still be adequate about 6-8 inches over the top of the tank?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Think you are better off with the Catalina 3x54 watt fixture. Two on and off switches give you the option to run one, two, or three bulbs. Being able to run only one bulb is nice if you are going on vacation, develop algae and need to cut the light or just want a lower light option available to extend your photoperiod. Doubt you would need to run three bulbs at once unless you felt the need for a short noon burst. Two bulbs is more than enough for a 55. If you order have them install the hanging brackets so you can hang the fixture if needed and you will have a fixture with maximum flexibility to control light.

·
Registered
767 Posts
IMO a 2x54 T-5 is PLENTY of light for a 55. I have one and it's a good foot raised above the surface-it's a very bright fixture. Three bulbs is way more than you need unless you intend to constantly tend to the lack of CO2 problem/algae outbreak that you will have. Maybe not right away but you will have it. It might be the week you run out of CO2 or don't do a water change for a month or run out of ferts or have a fish or two die that you didn't find or what ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.