The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I've been on here for awhile now, looking for ideas and gathering info for my new project. I was given a 40G tall tank back in 05 and since then learned a lot along the way. I recently acquired a 55G for free, so why not right? Here's a quick look at the progress thus far!

Pants: HC, Blyxa japonica, Cryptocoryne albida(can't see it yet)
Lighting:Odyssea 48" T5 HO
Filter: Rena XP3 w/ Hydor 200w Heater
Substrate: Eco
Co2 / Dosing N-P-K / CSM+B

While building our house last year, I scoped out this perfect location for my tank. (picture is my old 40g tank)

UPDATE** 6/22/2012
Added a few fish. 12 Serpae Tetras and a Chines Algae Eater. Couldn't find any SAE's local. Shot this quick vid shortly after adding the Serpae's. Slight algae bloom from a bad mix of ferts. :thumbsdow. Changed out that horrible C02 diffuser for a Cerges' Reactor. I wish I had started off with that in the first place!! What a difference it made. No more 7UP. I'll be doing some maintenance tomorrow. I'll probably do another vid with it all cleaned up.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I always wonder if the in wall tanks are a pain to scape. Like you have to keep walking .out of the service closet to see what it looks like!

Nice job BTW.

·
Registered
781 Posts
This tank brings some very good memories back to me, as a really good friend, who as passed on, had a tank EXACTLY in the same position as you do! It wasn't a planted tank, but the Tank and the Stair Case are the same! It is a really cool place to put a tank and adds function to a dead space! Awesome job!

I can't wait to see it fill in even more!

Best of luck to You !!!
Drew

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats great! i love it! what are you planning on stocking with?
Pigeon Blood Discus! I had two in my 40G and they've been my favorite fish since. I'm still looking for a small but interesting tetra. Or Pearl Danios. Still working out the details and monitoring the water chemistry. This will be my first setup using pressurized Co2, so I want to make sure everything is "stable" before I add the fish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE** 6/22/2012
Added a few fish. 12 Serpae Tetras and a Chinese Algae Eater. Couldn't find any SAE's local. Shot this quick vid shortly after adding the Serpae's. Slight algae bloom from a bad mix of ferts. :thumbsdow. Changed out that horrible C02 diffuser for a Cerges' Reactor. I wish I had started off with that in the first place!! What a difference it made. No more 7UP. I'll be doing some maintenance tomorrow. I'll probably do another vid with it all cleaned up.

55 gallon in-wall planted tank

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
This looks like a fun project and I like the look of the tank, I even like the algae on the rocks, it makes it look mature. I do have a couple of suggestion, to help the equipment blend in I would paint the filter intake/outlet black and I would tie that air line to the back of the intake then route it where it's needed, that would make it look a lot cleaner but keep it up the tank is looking great.

One more thing, I use the same drop checker but after you get the CO2 dialed in I'd remove that too, until you get a refill.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This looks like a fun project and I like the look of the tank, I even like the algae on the rocks, it makes it look mature. I do have a couple of suggestion, to help the equipment blend in I would paint the filter intake/outlet black and I would tie that air line to the back of the intake then route it where it's needed, that would make it look a lot cleaner but keep it up the tank is looking great.

One more thing, I use the same drop checker but after you get the CO2 dialed in I'd remove that too, until you get a refill.
I really tried every angle on the filter lines. Since my space is limited behind the wall, I'm forced to keep it in the middle. I like the idea of painting it black! I might just do that. The diffuser is gone! I couldn't stand all the bubbles. The drop checker, honestly is useless. So it could go. I was using it to monitor the ph/co2 but it rarely changes color. I've been monitoring the ph with a simple test kit and a Hanna meter. So far everything looks to be falling into place. I'm still getting a handle on dry ferts. Seems im my case, less is more! Thanks for the complements!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts