The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've found that i could have a snowflake eel and a lionfish together in a 55g with tons of inverts. yet i am still looking and findig all these awesome fish, so i just have to ask about them.

i can't find any info online about dwarf octopus. i also can't find much about toher fish too. so please NICELY tell me if any of the following could live in a 55g

dwarf ocopus
sargassum angler

i've been thinking... i want to get a reef tank and i want to breed seahorses. but i was thinking today, instead of thinking what i said i was gonna do, maby think of what i really want to do deep down...

so i think... instead of getting the 55g, maby buy a large tub, large enough maby for a bamboo cat shark.... i thought about it, and i've relized, i'd have more fun, and it would be more worth it if i spent my money on something i coudl really love, and really whatch for hours and hours without getting bored. something i could raise from birth, and tame it so i's not all cranky (like my bearded dragon during his territorial stage).

so... i think i may be getting a large tub, tons of sand, lots of little feeder fish and inverts, a heater, (will use natural filtration through another smaller tub as a refugium), and a bamboo cat shark.

i've really thought about it, and i think that would be more worth it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dwarf octopus are notoriously difficult to keep in home aquariums. They have no bones, so can and will squeeze through a hole smaller than you would think possible. Added to that their life span is only one year, at the end of which they spawn and die. (Don't even think about raising several hundred baby octopus in a 55, it won't happen.)

Sharks of any species are not suitable for beginners starting a SW setup. Start out with some damselfish and inverts until you find out what SW is really all about, how much is involved in maintaining the ecosystem, and what kind of problems you may encounter before you get into the more difficult critters. You'll save yourself a pile of money and frustration in the long run. A simple analogy would be trying to do calculus without learning algebra first. A SW reef isn't nearly as simple as as a FW aquarium, too many variables to be considered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts