The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting automation project...

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing your implementation of the various automation goals, assuming you will be sharing the details so someone could copy any parts that were relevant :)

With the MC BuildMyLED Dutch you will have an ideal planted tank light source. What type of plants are you considering?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Plants and goldfish...

This article has some interesting suggestions for plants that may be resistant to goldfish. The selection includes frogbit, a small floating plant that I use to absorb excess nutrients and can provide shade, which may be useful for naturally controlling the light from your LED (I realize you will be able to control it with software). I've also got Windelov java fern which has 'stag-like' ragged leaf ends as shown in the following photo..

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Duckweed versus Frogbit...

I see you've put Duckweed on your plant list. Duckweed is a very small surface plant and can be difficult to manage. Frogbit is larger (see the photo including my finger) and is easy to manage.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's coming along really nicely; so different from when you started :)

You mention having to 'rebury' the golden anubias because the goldfish uproot them. Are you referring to reburying the roots that come from the rhizome, or the rhizome itself?

I ask because usually the anubias rhizome is attached to a rock or driftwood, with the explicit intention of NOT placing it beneath the substrate.

Anyway, the tank is looking nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's interesting you were able to get the tank water 5 degrees below room temp by forcing evaporation. I have a rimless open-top tank and southern New Mexico is very dry, so I have used natural evaporation during the summer, but have only been able to maintain a 1-2 degree lower water temp. I'm going to try one of the clip-on fans and see if I can match your results...

While on the subject of water temperatures, during the summer my 'cold' faucet water can be above 85 F, so I use a 10 lb bag of ice floated in the tank during weekly refills. It hasn't had any noticeable negative impact on the inhabitants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts