The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Branching out into higher light, but this 55g has been an ongoing project. Id like to share the work on it here.

Lighting:
1x Nicrew SkyLED Plus (left side)
1x JC&P 10" full spectrum (right side)

Light schedule:
6-8 hours daily.

Filtration:
1x Fluval Fx4 canister
1x 60g sponge

Heater:
Hitop 300w set for 75F

Water parameters:
GH 89.5ppm
KH 145ppm
pH 7.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Fertilizers:
API root tabs for the root feeders every 4-6 months
ThriveS 1x weekly

Water change regime:
75-90% weekly

Plants:
Duckweed
Hornwort
Water sprite
Anubias Hastifolia
Anubias Congensis
Anubias Lanceolata
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Bacopa caroliniana
Bacopa monnieri
Echinodorus Ozelot
Echinodorus "red diamond"
Echinodorus Bleheri
Ludwigia repens narrow
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila polysperma rosanaverig
Moss (unsure of variety)
Sag species (unsure, a native variety collected from local river)
Taiwan lily
Java fern

Hardscape:
Rocks
Driftwood (elm branches and roots)

Fish:
Emperor tetras x8 (black strain)
Cherry barbs x6
Corydoras x33 (panda, trilineatus, paleatus, elegans, napoensis, CW028, ambiacus, loxozonus, leucomelas)
Ancistrus sp pleco x2
Hoplosternum Punctatum x3

Invertebrates:
1x assassin snail
Pest snails

20201223_153557_1609016516973.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I organized up the floating plants, been taking off well with the duckweed.
A little bit of algae, but not bad. Nothing an algae scraper won't take care of off the glass and what finding a balance with light time won't hurt. Little fuzz of hair algae on the anubias plants and green spot on the glass in the exposed areas.
20210103_182335_1609752266188.jpg

I could never keep duckweed alive ever, took 13 times to finally get it to take, I am so happy. Its covering the tank more and more every day and soon I can work on spreading it to my other tanks too!
20210103_181036_1609752364520.jpg
Photo has lid off, but usually my lid is a clear polycarbonate sheet to fit both sides

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking tank! I think you should add more taller plants to the background.
Theyre still filling in 😄
I got a echinodorus bleheri behind the rocks with the anubias that will fill in the space back there, and ive got the bacopa caroliniana that once it reaches the surface ill be trimming and replanting so that will also take up space too. And the tall sag grass will grow and fill in where it is at as well.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Looking good! I am jealous of your large swords. I had to tear my tank down awhile back, and had a beautiful HUGE sword in it which turned to mush after I tore down the tank. I recently set the tank back up and can't seem to find anything like it now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't sold on where I first planted the crypts, so I tweaked with it. Also scooped some floaters to spread to my other tanks too.
20210123_200743.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good! I am jealous of your large swords. I had to tear my tank down awhile back, and had a beautiful HUGE sword in it which turned to mush after I tore down the tank. I recently set the tank back up and can't seem to find anything like it now.
I find they grow faster and fuller in brighter light and with lots of nutrients. I use root tabs with mine with good results. Just take slow to start, but once they get going, they really get going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts