The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tank about 4 months now. We moved into a new house that already had a 3 ft tank. That's what started my obsession.
I wanted a bigger tank so we went to petco and bought the 55 gallon kit. (My first mistake ). Since I'm new I didn't know anything about cycling, plants, subtract... so I bought the kit, set it up, got some fish, and they all died. I have slowly over the last 4 months done research, made mistakes and bought tons of more fish, make mistakes, then kill them again. Since my fish are surviving now, I've decided to really try for a planted aquarium. So I'm starting this journal.
Diy co2
uploadfromtaptalk1460625364490.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460625375657.jpg
My tank before I started going for a more planted setup
uploadfromtaptalk1460625422276.jpg
My new lights
uploadfromtaptalk1460625477870.jpg
A verity pack of plants
uploadfromtaptalk1460625503837.jpg
My light arrived the other day
uploadfromtaptalk1460625583029.jpg
New lights on tank
uploadfromtaptalk1460625625224.jpg
My first setup attempt, but the paint started to peal away from the pots
uploadfromtaptalk1460625690810.jpg
Tonight I went to walmart and got sea shells and glued them to some pots and a crate
uploadfromtaptalk1460625743355.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460625755295.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460625767196.jpg
My setup at the moment
uploadfromtaptalk1460625809486.jpg
Hopefully tomorrow my plants will come in and I can finish it. I still have some shells and rocks left over
uploadfromtaptalk1460625866294.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Those steel staples in the crate is a bad idea...
Also the sea shells may not be the best addition to a tank for angelfish as they come from waters with low dissolved salts.

You seem to have decent substrate, skip the pots and plant your plants. Look at some aqua scaping vids and things like that on youtube for ideas maybe.

Also, why is the poor harlequin in the breeding trap?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sea shell's = calcium = increased hardness of the water .
Might not be of any concern for livebearer's which thrive in hard water, but would be detrimental to many soft water species.
Flourish comprehensive plant supplement to get started at twice a week would be my aim while researching dry fertilizer's (macro/micro nutrient's).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a guppy fry in the breeder box. The pink if plastic floating plant so they can hide from the mother after birth.... I have very soft water, I wondered if it would harden the water. I didn't even think about the salt. Thanks for pointing that stuff out.... I'm gonna test the waters now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tested the water. Nothing has changed yet but the stuff has only been in there 1 night. So I'll continue to watch it. My water is very soft here. Ph is 7.8. And the hydrometer doesn't show any salt... I bought some neon tetras and they had something that has wiped out half my tank so it will be a while before I buy anymore fish. I gotta make sure my tank is safe fisrt... I've did water changes, treated the water, and raised the temp to kill whatever it is.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you are planning to keep fish, invest in setting up a small hospital/quarantine tank....and use it.
Neons often carry neon tetra disease, it is nasty, virtually uncurable and catchy as a 90's pop tune.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have a hospital tank. Im kicking my own butt for not putting them in there first. I the it was NTD. All the symptoms matched, it was fast and I treated my water and changed it and raised the temp to try and stop it... I never heard of it til this happened... just another lesson learned in this hobby. I have no desire to ever get another neon tetra. We only have petco and walmart to get fish from, so my options are limited and risky.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I decide to take out the shell pot. It just felt too crowded and I had not planted yet. I also put the vases under the gravel to make little caves. First batch of plants didn't come in today, but that might have been a good thing. I researched each plant and got a better idea on where to put everything.... also since I order the first pack and second pack 3 days apart, I'm probably gonna take the fish out and drop my water levels to make planting easier. I just worry about my 2 biggest angels fighting for that long.... decisions, decisions....

uploadfromtaptalk1460705325810.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460705340835.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460705351750.jpg

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It is a bit of a problem when you have 2 different size angels, maybe you can place them in two buckets and work fast.
When you have a dominant/large angelfish, best is to have a few smaller ones to spread the aggression.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks cool, i do agree with ditching the pots and planting directly into the substrate. The tank has got potential!.

With the angelfish id pick up another once you have the tank sorted out. Ideally its best to keep angels in even numbers so if a pair forms they won't focus all their energy on the non paired fish. Life tends to be easier if you have 2 or 4 instead of 3.

Until you get a hospital tank going or if your not able to get one, its best to adhere to some strict guidelines. Always double check fish before you buy if you feel a little dodge about them best not to. Try get fish where the stores tanks don't have sick fish, since a lot of stores have filters that filter blocks/rows of tanks or all the tanks. Try and find out so you can check all the tanks. Always, always net the fish out of the bag so their water doesn't mix with yours. And it can be a great idea to do a medicated dip of the fish before adding them as a extra precaution.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 3 tanks in all. My 55g as pictured, a 38 gallon and a 16 gallon hospital tank. I have 4 angel fish in all, 2 small that have gotten along great but I bought 2 large ones that were donated. They are the ones that fight none stop. So I had to separate them... I was gonna move my fish to the 38 gallon while I planted. The hospital tank I started making brackish water cause I was going to try and breed snails but yesterday I changed out its water cause of the deal with the neon tetras. So I'm getting it ready for new fish and will just buy another tank for snails. I fished out the neons when I added them to the tank but I had no idea they carried such a vicious disease. So after I get the tank planted how I want, I gotta decide if I wanna add more fish or just stick with my guppies and angels.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know what type of wood that box is constructed with?
No my husband pointed out its probably gonna rot lol... I know someone that metal detects and tares down beaver dames . He's supposed to get me some drift wood next time he goes out. So I'll probably end back up with a nature look... I have a bad habit of changing things up a hundred times... I've also got about 4 layers of paint on my walls lol. I always try to do stuff different and creative to later realize there's a reason things are done a certain way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today my plants arrived. I got more than I expected so I'll have extras to go in my other tank when the next pack gets here .
I also decided to take out the seashells and do the rocks and caves. Then while at the dollar store I saw some really cute gnomes to put in. Rocks and gnomes came to be around $20. But clay pots, paint, brushes, seashells and crate, umm probably $100 lol. Luckily I was able to put my shells in my hospital and birthing tank. Made plenty of hiding spots for my fry and the pots I'll used for outdoor plants. Plus it was still fun to paint and get creative. Even if I didn't use it for this tank.... I also had a friend drop off some drift wood. I'm letting them soak in my other tank but I'm not sure where I will put them yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also this plant was in my pack. It didn't match any of the pictures, they added a few freebies, but looked like something i could add to wood. I tied it but if anyone can identify it for me, that would be great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts