The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, my crayfish died. It wasn't expected, but given that she was healthy and I didn't know how old she was, I'm sure it was age.

Now there's nothing... unique, in the tank. Just carp and cats. I'd like to have something in there again, but not a crayfish, she ate two of my favorite fish.

It's a 55, it has two 60g and one 75g filters. I have two 8 year old Sarasa comets, one 2 year old ryukin goldfish, and 2 plecos of unknown ages (but not young, the youngest is at least 3).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are a number of unique options that you could get for such a tank that grow fairly large.

Oscar - Might be a bit big for a 55 gallon tank
Gourami Pair (grow up to 6")

Personally, I would put in a large school of cardinal tetras but they don't have the uniqueness that you are looking for likely.

Freswater flounder is a good suggestion but I have heard they prefer brackish water.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cardinal tetras cannot go in a tank with goldfish. Goldfish are coldwater while the tetras prefer temps in the low 80s.

If you're looking for something active in the tank, I'd go with a large school of White Cloud Minnows, at least 15 or more. They are a coldwater fish, so they will thrive in the temps your comets and ryukin require. They are a small fish that tends to school around the top half of the tank. They may not look very colorful in the dealer's tanks, but once settled in at home they cane be develop striking colors. One of the most underrated fish in my opinion...and a bonus, they're usually pretty cheap, often retailing for $1.50.

If you don't think a school of fish is what you're looking for, I believe their are some frogs that may do well in the temp range of your tank, though I'm not sure on them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rope fish are unique and hardy. I doubt your using a water chiller for your goldfish. Most fish do ok at room temp, your tanks around 78 degrees I imagine?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
78° is what my thermometer says. I let my room dictate the temperature of the water, since everything in there can take whatever temperature it may get so long as the change isn't drastic. Tried adding an old heater for stability but it's dead.

I'd love to have a ropefish, but I've heard that, like all long-bodied fish, they love escaping. The lid I have for my 55 rests about three inches above the top of the tank and has an open back to allow for filters. I want to get a top for like a terrarium, and cut holes for the filters, so it covers everything.

Those balloon rams are cute. I plan on getting German blues for my angel tank once I get a large enough one to allow for it all, or perhaps putting my angels in a larger tank and leaving the 30 for the rams.

Right now my "unique" fish are a trio of gourami: opaline, gold, and pearl.

·
Registered
138 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts