The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy that is getting rid of his 75 and he is willing to give me his fish if I want them. He has a 4" red tailed shark and 2 yo yo loaches(one big one small). I have a low light low tech 55 that I'm thinking about throwing them in there.
The 55 currently has:
10 neons
10 zebra danios
1 angel
1 dwarf gourami
5 cories
1 clown
1 pleco
Would the yoyos or the red tail be
Ok In the tank? I have had red tails before and never had a problem with them being aggressive towards other fish and definitely never had problems with yoyo loaches. I would hate to not take
The red tail as he is big and very beautiful and he would make a great fish to
Have in my cichlid tank one day

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Red Tailed Sharks usually claim a cave or reasonable variation, and are a little bit protective about the area in front of it. Most of their aggression is directed toward other shark shaped fish, including Siamese Algae Eaters, and related fish. Most of the time I think they are OK with your current stocking list. They are not usually as aggressive as most Cichlids, though. I would worry about future plans to add a Red Tailed Shark to certain Cichlid tanks.

Yoyo Loaches are predators. When mine were only half grown they ate adult Neon Tetras, so I do not think your Neons or Danios would be safe.
Angels can eat similar sized fish, but (often, not always) if they grow up together the Angel will not eat the Neons. But you may not be able to add more Neons.

In your list you include
"1 Clown"
A Clown what? Many fish include the word Clown in their common name.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Tailed Sharks usually claim a cave or reasonable variation, and are a little bit protective about the area in front of it. Most of their aggression is directed toward other shark shaped fish, including Siamese Algae Eaters, and related fish. Most of the time I think they are OK with your current stocking list. They are not usually as aggressive as most Cichlids, though. I would worry about future plans to add a Red Tailed Shark to certain Cichlid tanks.

Yoyo Loaches are predators. When mine were only half grown they ate adult Neon Tetras, so I do not think your Neons or Danios would be safe.
Angels can eat similar sized fish, but (often, not always) if they grow up together the Angel will not eat the Neons. But you may not be able to add more Neons.

In your list you include
"1 Clown"
A Clown what? Many fish include the word Clown in their common name.
I meant clown loach sorry. I've had him for years.
So basically the opposite of what I thought is what your saying. You think the red tailed will be fine but the yoyos not So much?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Well, I have had Yoyos eat Neons. Caught them at it.

I have not kept RTS with smaller fish, just going by what others have said over the years. I have kept some related fish (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterum), and some are more aggressive than others.

Epalzeorhynchos bicolor ? Red-Tailed Black Shark (Labeo bicolor) ? Seriously Fish

Clown Loaches might be a good tank mate to the RTS.
Clown Loaches are social fish, and get quite large.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.