The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to remove the top rim of a standard 48" 55. Anyone have any ideas or have already done this? I am going to have glass cut to silicone on the top for support. Was wondering how much I need? I was thinking a strip down the middle and both ends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
google for a rimless tank calculator.

It's called AquaCalc and it's free to download it.

I ran the numbers on this and it ain't pretty:

recommended safety factor 3.8 or more

With your thickness (given standard 55's usually are .25"):

side safety is 1.71

This tank would be football shaped in short order and then fail.

You can get some 2" wide strips and some rtv silicone (much stronger than aquarium grade) and silicone them inside the top edge (no need to do the ends really as it would only leave 8" unbraced) and would probably have no deflection at all.

I have done this before to a 30XH and it was rock solid.

Hope this helps.

dantimdad

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PDX-PLT, you had me worried for a minute. I thought you new something that you weren't telling me :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on gluing a 3/8" x6 or 8" piece butted up to the inside walls and then for safety I thought I would put another piece over the top that I would glue to the outside. I could Eurobrace if I need to but that is a lot of work.

google for a rimless tank calculator.

It's called AquaCalc and it's free to download it.

I ran the numbers on this and it ain't pretty:

recommended safety factor 3.8 or more

With your thickness (given standard 55's usually are .25"):

side safety is 1.71

This tank would be football shaped in short order and then fail.

You can get some 2" wide strips and some rtv silicone (much stronger than aquarium grade) and silicone them inside the top edge (no need to do the ends really as it would only leave 8" unbraced) and would probably have no deflection at all.

I have done this before to a 30XH and it was rock solid.

Hope this helps.

dantimdad

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jenna that is a great idea. dantimdad I agree with you the on ends. I think I will keep them unbraced that will make it easier for the stands on the light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts