The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks. I've joined bcuz I want to introduce an aquarium to my 4 year old daughter. I have an old 55 gal tank stand & hood cover, along with two Marineland Magnum 350 canister filters that I plan on cleaning & replacing all the gaskets and media before using . I've bought a new tank for the old stand. I want a set up that is easy to maintain but will spark interest from my daughter & be entertaining for my family. Looks like my PH and KH is a little high from my tap, so I plan on adding some distilled water to bring it down.

My current stocking plan:
12 harlequin rasboras
12 X-Ray Prestella Tetras
6 False Juli Cory Cats
2 Clown Killfish
2 Gardneri Killfish

Any advice on bringing my old Marineland 350s back to life, my stocking thoughts, or bringing my KH & PH down would be helpful & appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well hello hello. Let me just welcome you to this awesome place. I myself is a noob here. But I sure am glad I joined because of all the helps I am getting.

I am not really clear on the filter part, but I can definitely help you with schooling fish.

Now, if you get Angels, well, they are kind of big. So you need to be careful about the size of the fish that I am about to mention. Rummynose tetras, Congo tetras, Cardinal tetras, even Neon tetras are pretty good schooling fish. Rummynose specially, one of the best schooling fish in my opinion. If you get barbs, just be aware couple things. One, Barbs are very social. So you need to have at least 4-6 of them so they can mind their own business. Otherwise, they may turn to other fish, nip on their fins and stuff. Also, beware of Tiger barbs. Even with 6-8 or in a group, they tend to attack others. With Tigers, I feel like its a hit or miss. I have 5, they dont bother nobody, but I have seen plenty of examples where they do in others' tanks.

Another consideration for you is to have rainbows. Now, albeit, they get lot bigger, so you wont really be able to have a lot, but the colors will make up for it.

I am not into cichlids, so cant really help you there. But for 55 gallon, you should be able to have pretty nice size school.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello neighbor :)

Thanks so much for the response :) Rainbows are what I've had when I took the tank down about 8 years ago. Rainbows are also what I had when I tried my 1st planted tank which got out of control on me. I should have done some research 1st (Live & learn, lol). I'm thinking Barbs might do better with a more peaceful species of cichlids because they tend to get a bit bigger and they are more aggressive than an average tetra (in other words, they would make an even match for each other). What I'm interested to know is (for example) what number of rummynose make up a good school? Will other tetras (like maybe with an x-ray tetra) school with them or will they school separately?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts