The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 55 gallon tank started smelling pretty fishy yesterday , so I tested all the parameters. They were all good. This is a 4 month old planted tank. I am dosing excell , iron and potassium as directed. I did a 40% WC today. Any ideas why it started smelling bad.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What do you mean by its smells "fishy"? Try and give us a better description.
Does it smell like rotten eggs or something? If yes, then you have a problem.
Do you have any fish in the tank because I don't see any from the picture.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My tank never smelled but when I tore it down the substrate had a horrible smell to it .

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use prime water conditioner. I have 5 tetras 2 zebra donias , 2 guppies , 2 Cory cats and 2 otocinclius.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't smell like rotten eggs. Just kinda of a musty fish smell. Kinda hard to explain. Haven't been cleaning my substrate very well . its Eco complete and it gets sucked up the siphon hose if I get anywhere near it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Dirty filter's are contributer,lack of regular weekly water changes is another.
With that said,all my tank's smell like wet dirt and give me no cause for concern for I perform weekly 50% water changes and clean filter's once a month.Prolly got three inches of dirt in my tank's covered with blasting media that never get vaccumed.
I'll bite on previous post.."What does Cynobacteria smell like?"
My tank's have distinct fishy smell cause they're full of fish but no Cynobacteria.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think you said that you disturbed your substrate and that is when you noticed the smell. A lot of bacteria end up living and doing their job in the substrate and things end up rotting there. It is pretty normal to get a strong smell from mature substrate when you disturb it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 55 gallon tank started smelling pretty fishy yesterday , so I tested all the parameters. They were all good. This is a 4 month old planted tank. I am dosing excell , iron and potassium as directed. I did a 40% WC today. Any ideas why it started smelling bad.

You probably disturbed the substrate. That usually happens to me. But it'll go away pretty soon. So good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts