The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 55 gallon tank, I currently have...

14 Neon Tetras
12 Rummy Nose Tetras
6 Panda Cory Cats

What do you guys think, do I have room to add more Neons? I was thinking about bumping their numbers up to 20 and maybe a few more Panda Cories. Would I be overstocked? My tank is also heavily filtered by two Aquaclear 70 filters.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It would depend more on your plant load and water change schedule but the numbers you're looking to get to don't seem too bad for a 55g considering you're watching parameters.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
In a 55 there is plenty of room for more of any of these small fish. Double the Cories and they ought to change their behavior- much more up front, and playful.
Increase the size of the schools and you may see more coordinated schooling behavior. With small numbers this is hard to see, and when a few fish 'opt out' of hanging with the crowd then that schooling behavior is really difficult to catch. I think your numbers are right on the edge of looking good.
You might also think about adding fish in the upper area of the tank. Hatchets (covered tank only), Danios (swim mid to upper tank), Honey Gouramis or similar.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I usually do a 50% water change every other week.

Actually, the cories are already quite social and don't really seem to hide much. Should I bring their numbers up to 10? I'm still debating about whether I want to add 6 more Neons or not. I love them, but they aren't very tight schooling fish by any means. The Rummies are much better at schooling, but even now they seem to be a bit more loose schooling. I wonder if I removed the Neons and added a lot more Rummy Nose if they would school more? I also noticed since introducing more Rummy Nose to the tank, their colors seem to be much better and more vibrant. I initially had 6 to start with.

I was thinking it might look quite nice in the tank with:
20 Rummy Nose Tetras
10 Panda Cories

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I also think the last suggestion is closer to the spot. I have 26 danio in a 20 gal, and they hardly look like a big school, you'd have to look for them in a 55 gal.
Also would suggest at least one larger fish to encourage the schoolers to actually school.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Any consideration you listed in this thread is doable assuming you have enough biological media to house a large enough colony of beneficial bacteria to support the fish bioload (you have enough filtration with the x2 AC70's, but not sure on the media contents. and you do water changes often enough).

So go with whatever fish stocking you want.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say, after watching the Rummy-Nose Tetras ever since I've got them in a bigger school, they are awesome and I might re-home the Neons in favor of them. Their colors have also brightened up a lot more than they were when I had a smaller school. Very cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts