The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just installed the AH supply lights onto my 55 gallon. I got the 2x55 Which give me exactly 2 WPG. I want about 100 more watts total. I have room to add something else on in that range. Could I buy like a 96 watt that is 48 inches with an enclosure? If I can where is the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a while ago I posted about my plants not pearling in my 10 gallon tank. Everyone had their own opinion about the subject and a few people thought it was the lighting. They were right. I didn't have enough light in the tank for my plants to pearl. I want my plants to pearl. Today I put those 2x55's onto the 10 gallon tank, and for the first time in my planted tank history (about 4 months) my plants started to pearl. I think it is the most beautiful single part of a planted aquarium so for that reason I want more light. The 2x55s sitting on top of the 55 look real bright but i don't think this will cause my plants to pearl. Does it make your plants pearl??

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have the 2 x 96w AH kit and the stock 36" fluorescent that came on my 58. It's around 20" high, and the lights are about 3" above the tank. My pearling comes and goes depending on amount of shadowing I have from overhead plants. It's pretty bright, but HC and Glosso have never done well for me. I've given up on both of them in the 58, but they seem to at least stay alive in the 15w 10 gal shrimp tank and there's zero pearling in there.

Tommy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is just more than the light, but i didnt have enough light. That was my problem on the 10 gal. I think I am going to get the coral life 48 inch strip with 2x65 watt. This will gave me enough light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking of boosting my 55 from 2wpg up to 3.3 by adding another 2x55 kit but using 36W bulbs. The AH kits appear to use the same ballast for both. This means I can run anywhere from 1.3 up to 4 WPG. Anybody see any issues with this?

Thanks all

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have both of these kits. The 2x55 watt kit comes with a workhorse 5 and the 1x36 came with a workhorse 3. Maybe the 2x36 watt kit comes with the workhorse 5. Im not quite sure...

·
Registered
31 Posts
From the site:

"Just like the 2 x 55 watt Bright Kit except that, instead of two 22" reflectors, this kit includes the option of one 34.5"L x 4"W MIRO 4 reflector with five facets or one 17.5"L x 7"W MIRO 4 reflector with eight facets."

The 1X either comes with the 8 ounce, the 2X comes with the 14. I'm assuming these correspond to workhorse 3 and 5. Bulbs are also the same length so no dead spots in the corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts