The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating how I want to light my new 55 build. I'm only growing simple plants like vals, sag, crypts and stargrass...I believe stargrass should be a lot easier than hairgrass or baby tears. I would like a light with a "ramp up/down" feature that replicates the sunrise/sunset with dimming rather than shocking the tank from dark to full noon sun. The tank is not rimless or open topped, as a minor of fact its framed in so I will not even see the light fixture(s).

I am not trying to spend Kessil money, but single or dual point of source lighting is cool I have used Kessil knock-offs in the past. From what I gather the major benefit is a shimmering effect, where the bar lighting is more consistent but I do not think you can achieve the shimmering effect using bar lighting. So I am between a 48" LED bar light of some sort or 2-3 single point lights, but I have a feeling the ramp up/down feature is going to be more common in a bar light? I considered cheap dimmable LED floodlights but their spread angle seems way too wide and I do not want light pollution outside the tank because it is behind a couch and I would rather not be looking up at a glaring light...which I guess is another reason to consider the 48" bar lights right? Maybe I could combine the two with a small single point light in the corner just to get some shimmering effect.

PS - An intelligent bar light would be cool too if it had a slow scrolling marquee effect that simulated clouds rolling over the surface!

Suggestions please?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some research appears the bar lights have come a long way lately, and the shimmering effect is possible with LED array effects. I do not see spending more than $150 for a light though...especially if I end of finding I need two of these!

Fluval makes a highly rated Plant 3.0 light but it seems to lack some features and effects for the price. However it is app controlled so it has the foundation for future feature expansions.

Current USA seems to be in the lighting market so I compared a few of their units and the Satellite Plus 4008 model appears to be a good candidate.

Finnex is another company in the lighting market, and after some comparisons I found a few good candidates. I am between the Planted+ CRV and Planted+ ALC. They both have the "true 660nm reds" but the ALC has a slightly higher PAR...more people have purchased the CRV on Amazon though which is also slightly more expensive for less PAR so I am confused between the two.

Nicrew and BeamsWork are also companies I am looking into, they seem to make cheaper lights though...but if they are decent I could double up on them for the same price.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
55's being narrow usually doesn't need 2
bars. Depends on PAR needs really.

If you can find one the Chihiros 120 is another option.
Will boil down to features mostly .

·
Registered
107 Posts
A little late to the party, but I have a single Fluval AquaSky 48"-60" bluetooth I guess the 2.0, and it lights up my whole 55G from top to bottom and corner to corner. Didn't expect that at all from that skinny bar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.