The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having multiple tanks throughout the years I had decided to take a hiatus around the 2010's into 2020. I gained the love of my life and a kiddo to share my tank knowledge with, and in getting him a tank for his 11th birthday I seemed to have taken it over lolol. So begins another journey. I had convinced myself that it would be low tech low maintenence......we all know how that works when you have some extra money to burn lol.

Fauna :
Juli Cory cats x6
Khuli loaches x6
Otos x4
Amanos x4
Nerites x2
Harlequins x 15
So far......lol

Flora:
Anubis barteri
Misc crypts
Micro swords
Some type of petco plant from the beginning lol.
Java ferns
Ludwigia
I'll list what I haven't later also most of this stock is due to arrive this next week.

Equipment:
2 hygger 27 watt led
1 hygger 72 watt led

Canister filter can't remember the size ill update later.

5lb co2 tank w/reg
About 2 bps light green on drop checker I've got a ph pen to dial it in.

In line heater

In line co2 diffuser

Lily pipes w/surface skimmer attachment
Koralia 565 for dead zone control.

DIY liquid nutrients micro and macro, ill get around to testing the parameters.

Light schedule is 8 hrs on

W/c 5-10% weekly

Dosed daily 5 ml macro 2.5ml micro

Inert substrate w/root tabs
Red lava stone hardscape possibly change to dragon or seiryu not sure yet.

View attachment 1027301

Opinions and suggestions are very welcome 馃榿馃榿馃榿

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Little update, added a couple Java ferns, some Rotala macranda, and some deep red broad leaf ludwigia. Also I'm loving my leds they have a cool moonlight effect and cycle through the colors. I thought about just having it be blue but that's kinda boring so I let it cycle, it doesn't seem to effect the faunas nocturnal cycle so. Anyways thanks for looking ill keep this updated as I progress.

Attachments

Registered
I've heard seiryu stone can raise gh/ ph in tanks without an active substrate. I have no personal experience in this as I've never used it but I've been warned about it. Just thought I'd put that out there. Lovely set up!! Can't wait to see updates!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Substrate is Inert, but yea its rinsed, tank is over 2 months with no ammonia present, and media in the filter is just standard filter floss with one bag of carbon, it could definately use an upgrade, but I went ahead and changed my light schedule to 6hr and it seems to be helping also got a uv filter for the time being until I can get everything balanced.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update, currently using a uv filter to control my algae bloom but it seems to be working great so ill leave it until I can better monitor the unique parameters my tank seems to be having lol. No major changes ,khuli loaches didn't make it , water quality played an issue with then um assuming plus they had to be flown in so stress as well.

Registered
They are fun to create specimen tanks for lol I will give this word of caution to you- they are terrible with carpeting plants. You're going to want to wait until your carpet is completely filled in and has the consistency of sod before you add kuhlis or any other burrowing loach and even then if they can find a way under it they will tear it up. Good luck!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are fun to create specimen tanks for lol I will give this word of caution to you- they are terrible with carpeting plants. You're going to want to wait until your carpet is completely filled in and has the consistency of sod before you add kuhlis or any other burrowing loach and even then if they can find a way under it they will tear it up. Good luck!!
Lol I definately can see them tearing up some carpet , I use to have a pack of about 20 in my ild 75gal and needless to say all I had was crypts and Vals lolol

Registered
馃槀馃槀馃槀 I had horsehead loaches that built outright tunnels in my substrate that made lines/ killed off my hairgrass. When I pulled it up after a week of them being in there it looked like moles had constructed a den underneath. Gotta love them, though, so much fun to watch!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.