The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)Hi, after looking a while for a nice oak stand and canopy I found one on craigslist! Its a 55 gallon and will have low light, low algae I hope ! What low cost sand would you all recomend ? Pool filter, black diamond, ect. thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have heard good things from people using high CEC materials as substrate. I might avoid using solely pool filter sand or other inert materials, depending on what you will be planting. At the very least, consider root-tabs. I have had much better luck running tanks with nutrient providing substrates rather than completely inert substrates.

·
Registered
824 Posts
After doing alot of reading on here as well I've decided to do this: Safe T Sorb (it's Optisorb up here) with a cap of black sand. This tank is going to be mostly crypts so I didn't want to being constantly burying root tabs. Hopefully the -Sorb will help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi , thanks for the replys, what is this safe T sorb, what color is it, is it super light weight, any other ideas, thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
100% diatomaceous earth. I believe it's mined in Tennessee, there was an attached MSDS sheet when I googled it. There is also an extensive thread on here discussing it - look in the substrate section.

Dry - it looks like kitty litter, fairly light in color. Mine was pretty dusty out of the bag but it rinsed really easily.

Wet - it gets a fairly dark grey color with some brown specks thrown in.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
You should do dirt capped with black diamond or pool filter sand. Whichever color you prefer they both look good to me

·
Registered
354 Posts
Close, but its not diatomaceous earth. Thats got, well, it's got diatoms in it. Its Fullers earth.

Its actually Montmorillonite clay, a type of Bentonite clay. Its low temperature fired, unlike Flourite which is fired at a higher temp. Because of this it's supposed to have a higher CEC than Flourite but is considerably softer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts