The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a cichlid guy. since i have a live bearer tank now I am kind of looking for a fish that will possibly eat fry or small guppies. is this to much to ask? Lol. My question is is there a fish that is semi aggressive that will thrive a 55 gallon eat juv guppies and still be capable of having the list of fauna below

( 55 gallon Planted tank )
-Bristlenose pleco and clown
-corys
-ottos
-and maybe some other fish, angels? gouramis?
-shrimp
TANK DESCRIPTION-
Substrate- organic top soil ( miracle grow ), worm castings, also im looking for clay to use as an iron supplement. Capped with 2 inches of black gravel.
Light- Hagen GLO double fixture
Filter- XP3, with Power head
possible paintball co2 ( not in immediate future )
PLANTS- 2 Ruben swords, Sag grass, group of vals lining the background, Kompact, and crypts, moss etc. most plants will be clippings and plants from my 29 gallon that will have co2 and be a grow out tank. THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP im just figuring out what direction I want to go with on my 55 gallon. VERY excited to get it going.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The addition of shrimp is probably the hardest thing for any fish to match. However, in a 55G that is moderately to heavily planted, the shrimp should be ok ( I would not invest in high end shrimp here...cherries, amano, etc.) - there may be shrimp that are consumed, but I think you can maintain a good population in there.

The types of fish that come to my mind are Tiger barbs (get the large ones) - they probably won't touch your plecos. Angel fish could also be a good choice (although tiger barbs + angel is not). Angel fish are larger and will make your tank look fuller - they're a better main, focal point fish than tiger barbs imo.

Can't think of much beyond that unless you want to start adding the more docile species of larger cichlids - maybe trofeus?

I noticed your last thread asking about dwarf cichlids. I have bubble ram and I feed them algae flakes and blood worms. If you were to introduce fry in there, they'd have to be pretty small for the rams to go after and even then they probably wouldn't eat many? I'm not sure....I have a hunch that dwarf cichlids are probably not your best bet (especially in a 55g) to control your guppy population. You'd have to go bigger imo.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's say I go bigger. What could I get that would work? Like 75 gallon. Would ebjd? Would that potentially work. Especially if I buy some larger corys. And pleco that they could grow with. I'd bs happy with a ebjd. But angels would be rad but would they eat juv? I mean this may sound cruel. I might just get rid of my guppies as I don't kneo what to do with the fry lol. Especially since I'm selling my big guys.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Akysis catfish are perfect for eating guppy fry, but don't grow big enough to eat larger juvies or adults. They will also eat shrimp, but so will just about anything but pleco's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.