The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a new 55 gal plant tank. I have a T5 light fixture that holds 4 bulbs. How does this set-up sound 2 10K 54W, 1 65K 54W, and 1 50K 54W? Any suggestions? Should I substitute any other type of bulb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I will have CO2 and ferts. If I only use two bulbs thats 2WPG. Is 2WPG going to be enough? Which bulbs should I use? Should I vary them from time to time?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Watts and gallons don't mix! Watts per gallon means nothing. A singleT5HO light produces an intensity at 20 inches that is medium intensity. Two produce high intensity, and about the maximum you would ever want to try. Three is far too much light. But, if you hang the light fixture about 8-10 inches above the tank you will have high intensity and a very uniform distribution of light throughout the tank. This is the best reason for hanging our light fixtures instead of sitting them on top of the tank. Then we can adjust the lighting just by raising or lowering the fixture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX! My fixture has "feet." The feet make it sit about 3in above the tank (4in above the waterline). So I guess two would work fine. Which K temps should I use?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a 55gal planted tank with ferts and co2 and found running all 4 bulbs was perfect. Plants grew well and had no problems with algae. I was told it was too much light but when i only ran 2 bulbs I didnt get any growth, so I started increasing all four bulbs till they were all on the same schedule. And had no problems. Check out my old journal if you would like.....

Run all 4 all the time!

My light was a Nova Extreme 4*54w I had 2 10k's and 2 6.5k's

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/76896-sportdrivers-55gal-journal-5.html

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts