The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a double stand for 2 55s. It is a pretty basic stand out of 2x4s. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/crisell/IMG_1750.jpg.

Now, I want to try to build a stand that will house a 55 on the bottom and 2 20 highs on the top. However, since we are considering upgrading to a 75, I would like the stand to hold that one rather than having to build a new stand.

Since, there is a 5-6 inch difference in the width of a 55 to a 75, I tried to design the stand with 4x4s for the legs and main sides rather than 2x4s. This makes the stand base 18 inches wide to hold a 75 but, could hold a 13 inch wide 55 as well. Does this sound like it will work?

Also, since the 20H is only 12 inches wide, I think I want more support than 1/2 inch on the front and back. Could I glue and screw a 2x4 in the front (or back or both) to get the additional support needed?

I have only ever built that one other stand and don't feel that I know enough to judge whether this is a sound idea for a stable stand. I would appreciate any input from those of you with more experience/expertise on this matter.

I have included a rough sketch (made in paint, not to scale) of my idea.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so if I used 2x6s, should I just use that for the whole stand?

Or use 2x4s for the legs and the 2x6s on each level?

Should I also then build up the support on the legs so that the full 6 inches has support underneath?

ETA: Ok rereading I'm not sure what you mean. Use 2x6s the same orientation as the 2x4s on the previously built stand? In which case, how do I get the 55/75 option.

Like I said, that last stand I did was the first one I've ever built, so I'm a bit new at this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think you can have too much bracing but you would be surprised what wood on end will support. A 2x4 will support something on the order of 1000's of pounds easily. Consider that you have 4 legs supporting the tanks then you should have plenty. Look at the cheap commercial stands available, they are only plywood or thin boards on end.

After looking at the picture, one thing I would do is use a plywood base for each tank. This helps stabilize the stand. My DIY stands have upright 2x4's with dadoes notched in the sides for support. No problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so basically the feedback I've gotten says that I could still build the frame out of 2x4s (or 2x6s if I so desired) and just build a 20 inch wide base and put plywood for each tank and this would work. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree. Choose your wood according to the appearance you like. If ambitious you could face frame it like a real cabinet. Mine are industrial style (cheap) for a fish room. Here is an example similar to your situation. A 55 over a 33 long. Please do not look into the tanks as I just broke both of them down and will set them up again soon. :icon_lol:

·
Got wood???
1,094 Posts
Yes that would be fine. The photos Zensurgeon posted show the 2X4 stand utilizing the longer side as the load bearing side. This makes the stand much stonger, and should be able to support a 75 easily. Of course, i would throw some supports in there at the halfway point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to post the finished product, thanks to all of your input.

I just went with 2x4s for it. If you want more specific information, let me know but...I just wanted to show the final product. I put an extra support in the middle of each level plus topped each with 1/2" plywood.

Next step is to clean up the tanks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts