The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is our first attempt at a fresh water planted tank. The tank has been setup for about 6 months. About 2 weeks ago we decided to redo the aquascape. Now for a few specs on the tank.
54g AGA corner bowfront
Filtration: 2- Biowheel HOB filters (we use 2 because of the funny shape)
Heater: 300w AGA heater
Lighting: 250w HQI 10k bulb run on an Ice Cap electronic ballast
Co2: Pressurized Co2 JBJ regulator/solenoid
Substrate: top 3" Soilmaster below 2" pea gravel

Chemistry
Ph: 7.2
KH: 9 dKH
GH: 19 dGH
Nitrate: 7 ppm
Temp: 80 degrees
Co2: 2bps about 17ppm

Inhabitants
Fish
2 - German Blue Ram - Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
2 - Bolivian Ram - Mikrogeophagus altispinosus
5 - Panda Corys - Corydoras panda
6 - Black Phantom Tetras - Megalamphodus megalopterus
1 - Bristlenose Pleco - Ancistrus temmincki
1 - Otto - Otocinclus vittatus
? - Ghost Shrimp – Palaeomonetes sp.
1 – Albion Apple Snail – Pomacea sp.

Plants
Petita Nana - Anubias barteri 'Petite'
Broadleaved Anubias – Anubias barteri “barteri”
Anubias – Anubias sp?
Sunset Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Crystalwort – Riccia fluitans
Water Lettuce – Pistia stratiotes
Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Dwarf Sag – Sagittaria subulata
Corkscrew Val – Vallisneria sp?
Red Temple - Alternanthera reineckii
Onion Plant – Crinum thaianum
Rotala – Rotala sp?
We also have 2 unidentified red stem plants

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mark and Liz!

You finaly got pictures up! It is about time!!!!

Congrates! The tank looks pretty sharp. I like how you have the DW laid out. The plants still have some filling out to do but the tank is looking good. Much, much fuller than the pictures you brought into the store.

How are the 3 sets of rams doing? Have you noticed them picking at eachother at all?

It probably wouldn't hurt to had a few more Black Phantoms or a second school of fish to add some more life in there.

Do you have pictures of the 15G?

Look forward to seeing the tank in person someday!

We might have to talk about some of the A. Nana 'Petite' if it grows out for you.

Edit: Something else I forgot about.... I think you should try and hide the heater behind the plants. And..... Laura says HI!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think you should take off the biowheel. I'm not talking about the whole filter, but just the biowheel. Biowheels will compete with plants for nutrients and are a big no no in planted tanks.

I've always disliked bow fronts but this tank changed my mind. Very cool!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! :proud: We actually picked up a canister filter along with some live black worms tonight. Our fish had a feeding frenzy over the worms. We will take some more pictures tomorrow with the new filter on and try to move the heater so it is hidden a little better. The rams are not picking at each other but the german rams are definately more dominant than the bolivians. Thanks again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OoooOOOO.... pretty.... Anubias under a metal halide??? Talk about the other end of the spectrum! Looks good though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we will see how the anubias do. If they dont do well there are a few spots under some wood that they can be moved to for some shade. We also have some floating riccia and some water lettuce that float over the top of the larger anubius in the back corner shading it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
VERY nice corner aquarium i love the look of corner tanks but i never see them in the planted tank hobby for some reason...
with that MH those plants will grow like mad even the lowlight plants should thrive with that lighting. have you thought about geting some glosso or some HC for the ground cover?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I am not usually a huge fan of bowfronts, but I have to say, this is just beautiful! That wood placement is great~!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
How are the fish doing?

What kind of filter did you get?

Have you thought about running carbon in case there is some sort of chem. issue?

Hey did you get your RO Unit up and running?

Any new pictures?

Will I come up with the rest of the 20 questions anytime soon?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
TheOtherGeoff,

They actually just switched to a canister filter. I guess they didn't post it here. Sorry to mix things up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A little update, we are having some trouble with our rams. They are not eating and just hanging out on the bottom. We have run carbon for about 24hrs now and an airstone. I also shut off the Co2. We added a canister filter This past weekend. Anyway here are some updated pics from 2-4-07.

We will probably continue to do a weekly picture update. Also we are switching to RO water this coming weekend for our weekly water changes.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The RO system is going to take out a lot of your Calcium Carbinates isn't it? I haven't ever used RO so I am not really sure. If that is the case though you will need to watch your CO2 as it will drop your PH much quicker.

Update on the rams??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.